1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Why can I not rename a networked printer

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Alex Ethridge, Dec 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge Thread Starter

We have several printers located in various rooms and connected to various computers. I would like to rename the networked printers so that the computer they are attached to is the first part of the name. Presently, the computer is the last part of the printer's name.

Example of current name:
    HP LaseJet 3330 on Kaye

I would like it to say:
    Kaye's HP LaserJet 3330

Can this be done? If so, how?

2. Sponsor

3. Wanderer2

Wanderer2

What you desire isn't going to happen.

You can rename the printer at the printer/share to have the source in the name but it will be like Kaye's HP LaserJet 3330..on Kaye

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

But on each client computer you can change the printer name to whatever you like.

5. Alex Ethridge

Not so. Let me be clear on this.

I sit down at the computer that has no printer directly attached.
    I click Start> Control Panel> Printers
    The only choice of printers are those directly connected to other computers and that are networked to the one I'm sitting at.
    I right click on any printer in the list.
    There is no "rename" option on that menu.

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

Thanks, that's clear enough for even me to understand. :)

I don't know why 'rename' is not there. I have had no such problems with my Vista nor with several XP machines. Could this be some kind of Group Policy issue?

7. Alex Ethridge

Since I don't know anything about "group policy", I would have to defer to you on that one.

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

Don't defer to me on that. :) It's not something I've dealt with, just know the term.

9. Gombot

Gombot It's My Birthday!

Are you able to delete, and then reinstall the printer with the correct name?

10. Alex Ethridge

It sets its own name--doesn't give me a choice.

11. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

You're right. You can't rename it. I don't have a "why" explanation for you. Computers have limitations. Looks like this is an example.

12. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

But why can I rename a printer? The screen shot is from my Dell laptop. All 5 printers and pseudo-printers can be renamed with a right click or by selecting the 'Rename' task from the task panel.

The highlighted one was renamed so that I can distinguish it from the same printer connected by USB when I install it that way, and from another HP 1022n that will be connected to another computer and that I will rename something like "Ed's HP 1022n."

Attached Files:

13. Alex Ethridge

Are these printers connected to the computer that you are doing the renaming on? If so, that isn't my problem. I can rename any local printer. It is the remote printers that cannot be renamed.

See post #4.

14. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

You can only rename a local printer. You can't rename a networked printer, same as you can't rename a shared folder that is on another PC. The name is how it's found on the network, so the name can only be changed from the PC it is connected to directly.

You can rename a shared folder that has been mapped to a drive letter, but printers are not setup the same way.

So the trick is to install the Network printer as a local printer, then you can rename it as you want. You do this my installing the printer driver locally.

How to install a printer driver locally for a remote printer in Windows XP

Note that the share name may be different than the printer name that appears in the Printers and Faxes Control Panel.

You can check the share name by clicking Start | Run, type \\servername, press enter, and look in the list for the printer name (do not click on Printers and Faxes)

Once this is done, you can Right click>Rename | F2 | File>Rename at will.

HTH

Jerry

15. Gombot

Gombot It's My Birthday!

Wanderer2 gave the correct answer right off the bat.

A shared printer is "given it's name" at the time it's shared out on the computer it's actually connected to. If you want it to be called "Kaye's HP LaserJet 3330" you'll need to go to Kaye's computer, and change it's share name there.

Of course once you change the share name, all the folks connecting to that printer will need to reconnect using the new name.

TheOutcaste provides a good work-around that permits a different name on every client.

But why not change it on the printer server machine so it's done once and for all?

16. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

My "HP Photosmart 2600 series" is connected by ethernet to my router. I just renamed it to "something else" and then renamed it back to the original.

The Network HP 1022n is connected by ethernet to router. When I initially installed it using the HP setup program that wasn't the name; I renamed it to have 'Network' as the first word.

I don't now have the "Ed's HP 1022n" that I mentioned because I haven't been near Ed's PC since I reinstalled Windows. When I network up with him again I will 'connect' to the printer that is connected directly to his computer (or maybe the "auto" feature will do it for me). I will then rename it to place "Ed" at the beginning of the name.

This seems to be exactly what you want to do.

I don't know why others are saying it's impossible, as I have been doing it for a couple years. A few posts seem to be saying that I'm not changing the actual name of the printer on the network or the other computer, and that is true. All I'm doing, and I think what would be satisfactory to you if it worked, is change the name as it appears in my Printers and Faxes and Word and Excel and any other application on my machine.

TheOutcaste gave a link to an article that discusses how to install a printer driver directly on the client machine. I don't use that method, but maybe I am getting the same result by using the HP setup program to find the network printer and install it, or to find a shared printer in My Network Places and then 'Connect' to it.

17. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/779939