1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Why can't I do fast user switching in XP?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Remes, Oct 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Remes

Remes Thread Starter

Ok, so I did a few googles and tried a few things but didn't get anything.

I don't usually require it but when my mother comes to visit she often wants to use the computer so it is alot simpler to give her a guest account than having to stash all my, *ahem* questionable material, inc. bookmarks, google sentence finishing thingy, cookies, yadda yadda [​IMG]. Last time she came I just used a different profile for firefox but I want the guest thing just to be safe as I also have a cluttered desktop with stuff I would preferably not have to sift through and hide.

Can I still just have admin as the one i use passworded and the guest one unpassworded? I read that you should have yet another one for user switching.

Anyhow I also tried making another login account for myself and that didn't work either.

The problem was firstly that it would not stop at the welcome screen and go right into my account. I sort of fixed that by making a password for my account but it wasn't working right still. When logging it came up with the windows bell thing and a box which would disappear. I thought it had hung each time until I figured out I could alt-tab back to this box which informed me I could not log on with such and such password and then it takes me to the welcome screen where I can then logon.

Anyway that sort of fixes the logging thing but still I don't get the fast user switching option. It will be very tedious and pointless having to restart the computer each time such that my mother would get exasperated and instead seek to use my account and insodoing uncover my various naughties. I've tried the obvious things of enable fast user switching but it doesn't do anything. If I go to shut down I don't have that option at all. Where the fast switch thing should be there is just the reset button.

Any ideas?

2. stantley

stantley

Go to Control Panel > User Accounts > Change the way users log on or off. Choose "Use Fast User Switching" there.

Also make sure you have the service "Fast User Switching Compatibility" set to Automatic.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!