1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

why can't I play website video clips?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by dctconnected, Apr 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dctconnected

dctconnected Thread Starter

I would like to play video clips from certain web sites, such as CNN, but am unable to, for some reason. While on CNN, I clicked on the hyperlink “play video”. A window frame came up, with nothing displayed inside the window, for a few seconds, then disappeared. I went back to the hyperlink then right-clicked on it. I selected “open new window” from the menu, at which time a new window popped up, with “java script:launchvideo…” shown in the Address Bar and the familiar info line “this page cannot be displayed” appeared in the window.

My Dell PC is an 8300, running Win XP-PRO and has Win Media Player (WMP) and Nero Media Player on it. WMP is the latest update found in March 2004 on line and Nero is of version 5.5. I am not sure what else is missing in my installation but does anyone know what needs to be accomplished at this point, in order to play web site Video clips? Any useful instructions/feedback are greatly appreciated.

dctconnected

2. rude

rude

3. dctconnected

dctconnected Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. I didn't realize WMP is not able to handle the video file format created by CNN. As for REAL PLAYER, one must pay after 14 days (trial), so I'll skip, because installing the basic .exe WON'T play the video anyway. dctconnected.

4. stars1234

stars1234

Go back to Realplayer and look for the "free" one.
    You don't have to subscribed to the one with all the goodies.
    They offer a free one. But they will ask for a name & email.

So many programs use realplayer that it's an almost essential.
    When you download, if you can use the "custom" and download only those parts of realplayer you need--you probably won't need their downloader or jukebox.

Quicktime is the one you really have to watch out for. It isn't used too much these days, but when you download the new versions, they really dump extra stuff on your system -- so watch out, when downloading, that you get only what you need.

But check out realplayer again and get the free one.

Bob

5. rude

rude

Go back to the link I gave you and on the right side is the free player

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!