1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Why can't I reach a certain website?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Louiss, Sep 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Louiss

Louiss Thread Starter

As of last week I can't access a site anymore. The site in question is www.sythe.org. I'm in frequent contact with the admin and I'm assured that I'm on no firewall list or anything of the likes. I'm using wireless on my laptop. My desktop computer which is upstairs uses the same internet but it's connected to the modem, it can load the site as usual, yet I get this error when I try to load it from this laptop: Error 118 (net::ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT). When I ping the website I get 100% loss from the packets sent along with "general failure". I've tried different browsers, checked my firewall, turned off antivirus etc but still can't go on to the site like I used to. I called a friend up who has the same ISP as me and he can load it just fine too. I can still view the website using proxies but I could face problems if I log onto my moderator account using it. I really need some help please.

I have:
    Win 7 64 bit
    Windows firewall
    ESET NOD32 4.0.474.0
    Netgear wireless G

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Hold the Windows key and press R, then type CMD then press Enter to open a command prompt:

In the command prompt window that opens, type type the following command:

TRACERT sythe.org

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter to copy the contents to the clipboard.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If you are on a machine with no network connection, use a floppy, USB disk, or a CD-RW disk to transfer a text file with the information to allow pasting it here.

3. Louiss

Louiss Thread Starter

Tracing route to sythe.org [208.64.125.10]
    over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 General failure.

Trace complete.

4. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

I think you'll need to provide the complete tracert report.

5. JohnWill

That may be the whole trace report! :D

Can you try PING sythe.org and post what happens there?

6. Louiss

Louiss Thread Starter

That was the whole trace report :|

Ping
    C:\Users\Louis>ping sythe.org

Pinging sythe.org [208.64.125.10] with 32 bytes of data:
    General failure.
    General failure.
    General failure.
    General failure.

Ping statistics for 208.64.125.10:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),

If it makes any difference, users on sythe.org can see me viewing a thread if I'm linked to one off-sythe(via msn), but I just see the "Oops" message from google chrome.

7. Phantom010

Try entering your IP address HERE. This will tell us if you're on any IP blacklist.

8. JohnWill

You do appear to be on a blacklist. OTOH, I'm on two of them, so I don't know how significant that is. The first one is your test, the second one is mine.

Attached Files:

9. Phantom010

I think it may depend on the website's firewall. Some may be blocking those particular blacklisted servers and others not.

10. JohnWill

I actually spoke to the folks at MXToolbox, this is a pretty standard thing to see for dynamic IP addresses. Virtually all dynamic IP address space will show up on one or more blacklists, so I doubt this is the issue. It's primarily concerned with email, many companies use these lists to block email from dynamic IP address.

11. Phantom010

Now you're really bursting my bubble! This issue seems to be very common but there doesn't seem to be any explanation or solution besides using a proxy server. I thought I had finally found something! :D

I don't see any other possible explanation for now. Something must be blocking him from that website, since most people having these issues can reach those websites easily with a proxy.

However, I think you're right. I've run a tracert for a website I could reach. After checking out a few IP addresses, some were blacklisted! This is disappointing! :(

Or perhaps, as I wrote above, some firewalls may be blocking them, some not. :confused:

I think it still can be a good indication for this type of problem. I'll keep asking for tracert reports and see if there's any consistency.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/949564

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice