Why can't I standby?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

reepnorp

My computer can hibernate, but it can't go into stand-by. Any ideas as to why not? Is there some hardware or software needed for it?

Not sure how anyone can answer that, you give no details of the hardware at all.

As a generic answer, standby and/or hibernation can be (usually is) very unreliable on most desktop hardware. The mode is better supported on laptop hardware (for which it was designed) but still not universally tolerated by all devices, software and drivers.

reepnorp

What kind of hardware details would you need to help me? I'll help as much as I can.

Now, please explain what you mean by "can't go into standby"

Is the option unavailable?
Does it crash when you try?
Do you get smoke and flames when you try?
Has it always been like this?

Remember, we can't see your computer. Only you can.
Unless you actually fully explain the nature of the problem, we can't really help.

But read my generic comments as well, desktops often don't like standby in my experience. They are not really designed for it, however occasionally its OK on some hardware.

reepnorp

When I say it can't go into standby, I mean that the option is grayed out. In the task manager, that is. If I go to the start menu and click Turn Off My Computer, the option isn't there. I'm pretty sure I could do it at one point, possibly before I upgraded to XP.

pugmug

Banned
Try going to settings in start menu,then control panel,power options,advanced tab,setup standby there.

reepnorp

There isn't an option for standby in the power settings. I'm relatively sure that my hardware can do it, but I'm not sure. What would I need to look at to determine this?

Try going to your motherboard manufacturer's website and downloading the drivers for your motherboard. When I first install XP on a PC the standby option is never there but once the drivers are installed it usually works. (y)

I've had that problem many times. The problem every time for me was video card drivers. Install the latest drivers for your graphics card and I think that'll take care of the problem.

reepnorp

I'd love to check the BIOS, but I don't have the password. This computer is like fifth hand.

You can restore the bios defaults including passwords by taking the battery out of the motherboard for a few minutes. On some motherboards there is also a jumper you can set to restore the bios to factory defaults.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online