1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Why can't I uninstall Norton's Antivirus?

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by monamae, Oct 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. monamae

monamae Thread Starter

I'm helping my neighbor with some computer issues. She has a Dell computer, with Windows XP Home version, and uses AOL dial up internet service. She only uses the computer to read and send e-mail, and write letters

She did not use her computer for about a year due to illness and is having issues now. Her Norton's Antivirus 2006 expired 12/31/06.

I tried to uninstall Nortons so I could install a different antivirus program, but get a message stating that I need to update Microsoft Windows Installer. I updated her OS, but that didn't help.

I tried to do an online virus scan from the Microsoft website, but it was interrupted several times by pop up messages from Local System to User stating that the registry is damaged and corrupted. One of the messages said I should go to winregistercleaner.com to download a cleaner to clean it.

How can I get an anti virus program loaded to find out if her computer is infected?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/756032

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice