Why cloning a disk does not work sometimes?

Alex Ethridge

From time to time, I change the OS/boot disk in a computer so I insert an Active Boot Disk (rescue disk) into the computer, boot from it and then image the whole drive to an external USB drive. Then I change the OS/boot disk to the new one and restore the whole disk to the new drive using the same boot disk.

Sometimes this works perfectly and sometimes it just fails to boot into Windows (W10 in this case), usually booting to a screen offering various repair and recovery options. The is not unique to Active Disk Image. It would happen also with Acronis TrueImage and that is why I switched to Active Disk Image several years ago AND switch to doing all images from a boot CD.

It happened again last night in an HP Pavilion Laptop, Model DM4-1160us (i7 CPU M640, 8G RAM) when I switched from a Crucial 500GB SSD to a Samsung 2TB SSD.

I think this might be related but I don't know how: When I attempted to use the six factory recovery disks last night to restore the computer to its new-out-of-box state, I got a similar type of failure to boot into Windows with a message "Restoration Incomplete" and an option to "Cancel" and "Try Again". Neither trying again nor starting all over from scratch did any good so I installed Windows 10 from scratch and am in the process of transferring my user-created data to it from backup.

I used to have issues with cloning completion due to an anti-virus program interfering with the process.

It is not recommended to disable the AV but you may find that pausing an on-access scan could help.

crjdriver

I can think of a few reasons;
1 When you have more than one drive in a system, the boot files may reside on a different drive than windows
2 Use of incorrect software when doing a clone. It is always best to use whatever the drive mfg says to use
3 Rebooting with both new and old drive still connected

Just an observation. The title of your thread references cloning however in your thread
then image the whole drive
An image and a clone are two different things however they generally accomplish the same thing. Which one are you doing?

Alex Ethridge

Just an observation. The title of your thread references cloning however in your thread
An image and a clone are two different things however they generally accomplish the same thing. Which one are you doing?
I image the whole disk, disconnect the disk I just imaged, connect the new disk, restore the image to the new disk, disconnect the source disk the image was stored on and reboot.

crjdriver

Then it should work. I do all imaging, cloning, whatever from an acronis boot usb and NOT from within windows. I never have problems using this procedure.

Alex Ethridge

Then it should work. I do all imaging, cloning, whatever from an acronis boot usb and NOT from within windows. I never have problems using this procedure.
I quit Acronis several years because of this problem and went to Active Disk Image. The problem persists.

crjdriver

I quit Acronis several years because of this problem and went to Active Disk Image. The problem persists.
Obviously the problem was not acronis. As I said I do all cloning, imaging, etc from the usb boot disk and NOT from within windows. Attempting to image or clone from within windows just adds another layer of complexity to the task. Much better to do it from the boot usb.

plodr

Liz
I do all cloning, imaging, etc from the usb boot disk and NOT from within windows.
Me too!
Running any program to image or clone within Windows just complicates things.

Alex Ethridge

Obviously the problem was not acronis. As I said I do all cloning, imaging, etc from the usb boot disk and NOT from within windows. Attempting to image or clone from within windows just adds another layer of complexity to the task. Much better to do it from the boot usb.
Your reply seems to indicate you think I am running one or more if the operations from Windows. If that is so, please point out to me where in my posts that I have indicated that.

plodr

Liz
please point out to me where in my posts that I have indicated that.
Here:
The only AV I run is Windows Defender, or whatever Microsoft calls it now.
Instead of posting what av program you run within Windows, you should have posted. "An av would not interefe with the cloning process because Windows is not loaded so no av program is running".

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online