1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Why did my XP "Favorites" icons change to "IE" & Folders?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by parrotplay, Apr 24, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. parrotplay

parrotplay Thread Starter

Hi! I have XP and a question. In Favorites, the icons that are next to the names, have all switched from their original icon pictures, to either the icon for IE, or to a plain Folder. I did not change these and liked it when I could easily distinguish each item (link...whatever they are called), by its icon. Now they all look the same, more or less. Can anybody tell me why this icon switch occured? And more importantly, how to get these icons back to how they looked before, with the individual icons? And...how to get them to stay that way and not be changed again. Thank you...sure don't know how I managed to do this one... :eek: ...your help is very appreciated!! parrotplay

2. A Hawk

A Hawk

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Did you run disk cleanup or some other program that cleans / deletes temp files or cookies? When you first save a favorite, it will show-up in favorites with its own icon. After you do a disk cleanup or delete cookies, it shows as the IE icon.

You can change the ico for a favorite under folder options, however I doubt that it would be worth the effort.

4. LONGHAIR

LONGHAIR

5. LauraMJ

LauraMJ Administrator

I d/l this but my favorites are still the "e" icon, except for a few, which were the favicons, anyway. I have some favicons that will stay there, but most of them turn into the "e" icon. I'd like to keep them with their own favicons also, so I d/l that program, but it didn't change anything. I also deleted some and re-added them, but they just came back with the "e" icon.

How do I make the program put the favicons back?

Thanks!

6. MustBNuts

MustBNuts

If I'm not mistaken, now that you've cleaned out your internet cache, they won't return until you visit those sites again.

If you really want them right now, just start visiting those sites, one at a time, and you'll see each one pop back into place.

Hope this helps,

MBN

7. LauraMJ

LauraMJ Administrator

I did that,.....but it didn't work. They still don't have their own favicons.... :(

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

It does not work because the file association is now the little IE icon. As I posted you can change the icon from Explorer or My Computer. Navigate to the favorites folder, highlight the url you want to change, click properties>change icon. As I said I doubt that it is worth the time to do this, however you can choose any icon you want. If you have downloaded icons, just point it at where they reside.

9. MustBNuts

MustBNuts

Oops, my bad! I use Mozilla Firefox (didn't make the distinction when I read your post) and just this morning cleared my cache; yup, all the little icons were the default...I clicked on a couple of the links, and voila', icons back....

MBN

10. LauraMJ

LauraMJ Administrator

Ah, well, I really just wanted the icons the links had, originally, I don't want to assign them one from my computer's store of them, since those are usually associated with something in particular.

I was hoping that this program would allow me to re-do the links by visiting the sites and deleting the link then adding it again and the links would then have their original icons.......and they would stay there.

If this program can't do that, then it's really not something I would find very useful for anything else.

One last question, do you know why it is that some of the icons will always stay as the originals, no matter if I clear the temp files or cookies, or disc clean or defrag or anything? Yet the majority of them turn into the "e?" :confused:

Thank you for your time!

11. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Just a guess on my part, however I would surmise that the url in question loaded its icon into another folder somewhere on your drive. It was not cleaned when you deleted temp files, etc.

12. LauraMJ

LauraMJ Administrator

Thank you very much for taking time to answer my rather trivial question. Little things like that tend to bug me :rolleyes: .

I hope you have a nice weekend! :)

13. Elvandil

Elvandil

14. LauraMJ

LauraMJ Administrator

I used this one, and this one does do what I was talking about.

Except that not all of them were brought back. Some of them were, but not all. Do some sites not have an icon? Hmmm....but I could have sworn some of the ones that didn't come back, did, indeed, orginally have their own icon.....it's just been a long time, since they've been anything BUT an "e." Would some of the sites have simply done away with a favicon?

Thank you for taking time for this. I realize it's not really important, but I do like to have them there, it does make it nicer and easier to quickly find the one I want. I suppose just having some may be as good as it will get?

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/223401

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice