1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Why do firewalls tell us when something tries to break in?

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by ggalonso, Jan 29, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ggalonso

ggalonso Thread Starter

I have a firewall, and if you can believe it, my home computer system is under constant attack from marauding, back door trojan horses. The threat to me and my desktop is extreme. The advisories even tell me the Ip address of these banditos of the cyber world.

My question?

What am I supposed to do with this knowledge, is there a cyber police station that I can turn the IP addresses into for investigation? Do you think the firewall does this all by itself?

:confused:

2. GreenIs

GreenIs

First off, what firewall are you using?
    Secondly, turn off the warnings.
    Thirdly, if you have seen the same ip/address come up more then once, yes you can report it. usually you report it to your net provider. They will want a complete summary of what you have found...usually what the firewall has logged.

Hope that helps you out.

:)

3. $teve

$teve

gg...........your firewall is doing its job......the alerts are probably from websites you have recently(within the last session) visited....the sites will still be pinging you,not realising you have disconected from them.

its best to just turn off the notification and let your firewall just do its job without nagging you.;)

4. jdemnyan1116

jdemnyan1116

Most firewalls have a way of setting the sensitivity. My firewall has 3 settings to use. If I use the highest settings, I constantly get interupted. Most have recommented settings or controls. Go through all your different actions of your firewall and check to see if they are on sensative settings, use the ones labeled recommended. See if that helps.

5. suzi

suzi

There's a lot of internet "noise" like port scans and stuff. A lot of this is normal. As the others said, your firewall is dointg it's job, so I wouldn't worry about the alerts.

6. ggalonso

ggalonso Thread Starter

thanks everyone, I can't find any opetions to turn the alert off, It's Norton Personal Firewall,

This place is the greatest.

7. jdemnyan1116

jdemnyan1116

I have norton personal firewall also. If you have the book, go to page 40. If not, open your firewall. On the left side, click on alerting level. Move the slider to chose your level. I set mine for minimal, less interuptions. Also, if you have the book, page 77 about automatic program control. If its not set up for automatic access control for certain programs, it will constantly emit the alert. If no book, open personal firewall, in the security center, double click personal firewall. In the personal firewall window, on the program tab, check Turn on Automatic Program Control. Click o.k. Should help out.

8. ggalonso

ggalonso Thread Starter

excellent, Thanks:)

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/115955

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice