1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Why do Google notebook collaborators need a password to access the notebook?

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by St!nkf!nger, Mar 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. St!nkf!nger

St!nkf!nger Thread Starter

I made a Google notebook to keep the minutes of a meeting my business partners and I held last weekend. I made them all collaborators on the notebook so they could all make any changes or annotations they felt necessary. However, when they go to access this notebook they are prompted for a password.

There is nowhere (at least that I can find) to even choose to password protect the notebook let alone change the password. I'm pretty confused as to what password the notebook could be. The only thing I can think of is that it's asking for the password to my gmail account, which I don't really want to be handing out. Any ideas on this one gang?

Stink

2. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

It's not their Google password that is being asked for?
    Have they already logged into Google?

3. St!nkf!nger

I don't think so. The one partner doesn't even have a gmail account.

4. St!nkf!nger

Just to expand. I just added my hotmail account as a collaborator. When I checked my hotmail account and clicked the notebook link, it prompted me for my login credentials for the gmail account which I emailed it from. I emailed the other collaborators to see if this (prompting to login using MY credentials) is specifically what's happening for them also. If this is the case it seems really asinine, what would make Google think I'd want to give up my email account login info just so my partners can edit a notebook?

The only other option is to make the notebook public which is also undesirable considering we discuss business practices and whatnot.

5. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

This is just a WAG but I would think that in order to access a Google Notebook, one would first need to log onto Google.

It probably doesn't have to be a "google.xxx" id but, must be one that Google recognizes as a Log On id. (mine is my Yahoo id)

Then, once logged onto Google, if you try to access a Notebook in collaborator mode, it will no longer ask for a password.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/691569

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice