Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Why do hardware makers do this?

541 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  replay 
#1 ·
Why do you have to format and partition hard drive today. Why can't the hardware makers of the hard drive do that.

Say you first must format the hard drive than partition it.

Also why is it most hard drives have USB 3.o no USB 2.0 today? Most of my computers have no USB 3.o ports.

#2 ·
Why do you have to format and partition hard drive today. Why can't the hardware makers of the hard drive do that.

Say you first must format the hard drive than partition it.
1) It takes time to format a hard drive and for most hard drive manufacturers time=money. Most manufactures try to save as much money as possible.

2) The hard drive manufacturer's have no way of knowing in advance what file format (NTFS, FAT32, HFS+, etc.) the purchaser wants to use on the hard drive or if they want it partitioned as a single or multiple drives.

Also why is it most hard drives have USB 3.o no USB 2.0 today? Most of my computers have no USB 3.o ports.
I will need to assume you are referring to external hard drives only. USB 3.0 has faster data transfer rates than USB 2.0 and may better match the data transfer rates of the hard drive hardware. USB 3.0 drives are backwards compatible with computers that have USB 2.0 ports. They will just operate using the USB 2.0 connector contacts and transfer speeds.

#3 ·
1) It takes time to format a hard drive and for most hard drive manufacturers time=money. Most manufactures try to save as much money as possible.

2) The hard drive manufacturer's have no way of knowing in advance what file format (NTFS, FAT32, HFS+, etc.) the purchaser wants to use on the hard drive or if they want it partitioned as a single or multiple drives.

I will need to assume you are referring to external hard drives only. USB 3.0 has faster data transfer rates than USB 2.0 and may better match the data transfer rates of the hard drive hardware. USB 3.0 drives are backwards compatible with computers that have USB 2.0 ports. They will just operate using the USB 2.0 connector contacts and transfer speeds.
They say USB 3.o is backwards compatible to USB 2.0.

Does this mean you need to buy connector or adapter to hook up external hard drive USB 3.o cable to a computer with USB 2.o ports.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.