1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Why do i even have to do a Boot Disk 2 Reformat when i can just Run the CD?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by hi!, Apr 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hi!

hi! Thread Starter

Ok, i didn't have much room on the title to explain. Let's say i have a computer that is messed up and i have to reformat it so it'll run like new.. Ok i did the Boot Disk.. the F disk.. etc... but why? All i really have to do is just stick in the Windowx XP (will this also work with windows 98?) and it'll override and delete everything and starts brand new?

I'm confuse here? I try the Reformat stuff but it didn't turn out ok so i was like, screw this and just Stuck in the XP CD and it just override everything... am i missing something here????

thank you!!

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

XP makes it easier to do that. Many 98 cds are bootable too. Some OEM cds are not, for example, Dells.

3. hi!

hi! Thread Starter

What is an OEM cd?? But back to Windows 98 so i can't just stick the Windows CD in so i have to do the Boot disk? (i want to learn this incase someone i know needs help on it)

ps. ACA i chicken out on the Lasik eye treatment.. I couldn't do it!! Is your eyes fine, it don't bother you or anything after all these years? I am reading the Kaplan book and it's great.. it's that i really slack off on the excerise's.. but i do notice a BIG improvement!!

4. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

All you need is the XP install disk. Same with Windows 2000.

5. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

OEM (original equipment manufacturer). They are often missing files that make them bootable. Usually the Full install cd or upgrade cd from Microsfot are bootable. ME install cds should be bootable too.

Eyes are great! :) It'll be one year coming up in May.

6. tnik

tnik

I didn't notice anyone mentioning this, but the reason that you can format and fdisk is so you can set up multiple partitions on a harddisk. which is good because if you have ever had to reinstall your OS, and everything sits on the same partiton, you have to backup everything. But if you have multiple partitions, eg. one partiton for your OS and one for your data, all you have to mess with is your OS partiton. BUT most people don't know about this or don't care to know about it, and that is why most distrobution cds are bootable and take care of everything for you...

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You can setup a partition of any size you want from either xp or win2k. There is never a need for a win9x boot disk to setup either xp or win2k.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/222247

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice