1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

why do i have 8 usb root hubs but only 3 usb ports

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Beta19, Dec 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Beta19

Beta19 Thread Starter

First Name:
    Adam
    Can someone explain to me how this usb stuff works. It's not that I'm computer illiterate, just that this is confusing. I believe my computer specs are listed in my profile, if not, let me know. I have two usb ports on the right side of my laptop, one usb/esata combo port, and a sd memory card reader. In device manager, I have eight usb root hubs, six running at full speed, two high speed. Is this normal? I think the usb ports are usb 2.0 as the laptop is only a year old and the other day, I used an older hp laser printer though usb and got the "this device can perform faster if you plug it into a high speed port" message. Can someone help me understand this a little better so I don't feel like my computer isn't working right?

I also have six usb universal host controllers and two usb2 enhanced host controllers if that helps out any.

I just want to know id my laptop has usb 2.0 I have read that if you have at least one usb2 enhanced host controller, you have usb 2.0 ports. I also know that some devices share a usb hub on the mb. I also have a built in usb 2.0 webcam.

2. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Go into Device Manager, click the + next to Universal Serial Bus Devices, right-click a Usb Root Hub > Properties > Power tab, that will show what devices (if any) are connected to that root hub.

As you said some laptops use Usb for internal devices like Optical drives, card readers etc. and I think these may be Usb 1 or Usb 2.

Also as you said you do have Usb 2.0 if you see an Enhanced Controller.

3. Beta19

Beta19 Thread Starter

First Name:
    Adam
    It seems that the two usb ports on the right side of my laptop and the sd card reader all share a hub and I think the usb composite device is my eSATA port which a usb/eSata combo. Both of these are high speed. So I would assume that all of the other usb hubs running at full speed then, are internal on the mb? If that is the case and the usb ports are indeed usb 2.0, is it normal to take two minutes to transfer about 2 gigs of data from my hard drive to a usb 2.0 flash drive and vice versa?

4. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Transfering that much data to a thumb drive or from a thumb drive can indeed take 2 or more minutes to complete.

5. Beta19

Beta19 Thread Starter

First Name:
    Adam
    So, I'm just being paranoid, then. I tend to do that. Thanks for taking time to answer that for me.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!