1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Why do I have higher minimum pings in Windows 8 vs Windows 7

Discussion in 'Networking' started by joe7dust, Oct 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joe7dust

joe7dust Thread Starter

I was getting between 6-15 ms pings on wifi with Windows 7 and I upgraded to Windows 8. Now I'm getting minimum of 41 ms pings.

If I had to guess I'd say the answer is highly technical and probably has to do with how the driver is coded, but I am curious to know more.

2. joe7dust

joe7dust Thread Starter

Some more data to add to this. Despite getting significantly higher pings on wifi now, I have to say the overall performance has increased. The only explanation I can come up with for this is that the upper bounds of the minimum ping has changed for the worst, however the overall stability and robustness of the system in general has improved. This PC came with Windows 8 originally so it could be that the drivers underwent more significant testing than their 7 counterparts.

3. joe7dust

joe7dust Thread Starter

Hmmm, well this is odd. I let "ping google.com -t" run in the background for an hour and I was back down to my usual 9ms pings mostly. Then I decided to run a speedtest.net concurrently to see what the pings were like under load. After that they area all 41 ms minimum again... If I can figure out what exactly is causing that I should be able to get back to the 9ms again...

edit: I think I may have found it, I enabled hidden devices in device manager and disabled ISATAP, Kernel Debug Network Adapter, & Wi-Fi Direct Network Adapter then its back to sub-10ms pings again. Trouble is there is a yellow triangle with exclamation point on the tray now which doesn't say what the problem is. Internet works fine for everything I use except ONE program.. lol. I think I can live with that for lower pings in my games.

edit2: Fixed the triangle thing, I just re-enabled Network Location Awareness.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2017
As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1198252

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice