1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Why do I have to re-install USB devices every time use them?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by bj nick, Jul 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bj nick

bj nick Thread Starter

I have a Gateway Solo 5300 laptop that was given to me, running XP prof. Every time I stick in a flash drive (the same ones every time), I get the "new hardware found" message, and I have to go through an installation every time. Why?! This happens with the mouse as well as the card reader; anything that is USB.

What can I do so that I don't have to go through this every time?

2. bj nick

bj nick Thread Starter

I also get: "This Device Can Perform Faster" every single time. This has happened on other machines as well...is there a setting somewhere so that I stop getting this message?

3. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

Well you get the device can run faster because you only have USB1 ports and if you had USB2 ports you would not get that message. As for the usb thumb drive wanting to install every time we need some more system info and what kind of thumb drive is it?

4. bj nick

bj nick Thread Starter

I have three different thumb drives...they're just standard ones I bought at Fry's Electronics or another superstore...one is "Attache," one is "Beyond..." just standard stuff.

As I mentioned, it happens with any USB device...

5. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

When you remove the rives from the USB slot after you are done do you click safely remove hardware?

6. bj nick

bj nick Thread Starter

Uh.....I guess not....never heard of that...

7. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

When you are using thumb drives or any removable media you have to click the safely remove Hardware icon it is located down in right hand corner of the screen and after clicking it the computer will tell you when it is safe to remove the drive.

8. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Create a file with NOTEPAD containing the following lines and save it as FIX.REG
    -------------------------- Use text after this line --------------------------------
    REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Environment]

"DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES"="1"
    -------------------------- Use text before this line --------------------------------

Double click on FIX.REG and say yes to the Merge Into Registry question.

Unplug ALL USB devices.
    Open Device Manager.
    View, Show Hidden Devices.
    Uninstall all devices under USB Controllers.
    Uninstall all devices under Disk Drives that you know are not present.
    Uninstall all devices under Storage Volumes. Say no to any reboot prompts until you are finished. Also, if a Storage Volume doesn't uninstall, ignore it and move to the next one.
    If you have a yellow ? with unknown devices, uninstall all of the entries there as well.

When this is done, reboot TWICE.

Reconnect the USB devices and see if they're recognized properly.

NOTE: If you have a USB keyboard and/or mouse, you'll have to modify the instructions and leave enough parts for those to function. I don't have one yet, so I haven't had time to modify the instructions.

9. bj nick

bj nick Thread Starter

Can you please tell me exactly how to modify the instructions to allow for my USB mouse?

thanks...

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/487865

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice