Why do I hear rumbling on my PC computer tower?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

bobkatbf

Why do I hear rumbling on my PC computer tower? It goes on about 85% of time.
I have windows 7 pro.

Could their be programs running in background?

lochlomonder

Colin
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
It could be the bearings going out on one of your fans.

bobkatbf

It slows my computer down . Plus I am getting more of unending blue circle .

Would defragging help?

Triple6

Rob
Retired Moderator
Have you opened up your computer to see which fan is making noise or if its the hard drive?

If the computer is overheating then you must address that, either by cleaning out a dirty fan or replacing it. If the noise is coming from a hard drive then it needs it to be replaced. If the noise is comign from your CD\DVD drive then you need to remove the disc in the drive.

Defraging doesn't fix anything.

bobkatbf

When my computer gets hung up = I go to restart. It takes a while & says : waiting for background programs to close.
How do I find out what those programs are that are running in background?

Triple6

Rob
Retired Moderator
Did you read the previous posts? You may want to address the source of the noise first. If you have an overheating computer or a failing drive then those could account for all your problems and if you don't address it then you may end up losing all your data or even having your computer die on you.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Rob:

I'm wondering if the "rumbling" he hears is the hard drive accessing or doing something.

--------------------------------------------------------------

bobkatbf:

Click Start, then type MSCONFIG in the search or run box, then press the Enter key.
When the small "System Configuration" window appears, click the "Startup" tab.
Write down ONLY the names in the "Startup Item" column that have a checkmark next to them.
If the "Startup Item" column isn't wide enough to see the entire name of any of them, widen the column.
Submit those names here in a vertical list.
Make sure to spell them EXACTLY as you see them there.

Download and save the TSG System Information Utility (SysInfo.exe) to the desktop.
After it's been downloaded and saved, double-click it to run it.
Information about your computer will appear.
Return here to your thread, then copy-and-paste the ENTIRE text here.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online