1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Why do i lose my adsl connection when i plug in the phone line of my alarm of my voip

Discussion in 'Networking' started by larko1, May 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. larko1

larko1 Thread Starter

hi alarm guys just installed a new alarm into my house today using the phone line for monitoring and it has filter installed. so today when i got home tried to use my internet connection but nothing so tried to reset and still nothing .. ... i have had this same thing happen to me before when i tried to insall a voip into the phone socket and it killed my adsl connection but once i disconnected the voip and reset the adsl modem it was fine .... so now i have the same problem with my alarm .
    any ideas on what i have to do .. im just not sure what the problem is and i would like to have my voip and alarm working on the phone lines as well as my adsl
    thanks if anyone can help me
    :)

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I think you're going to find that the alarm system is the sticking point here. DSL/ADSL requires high frequencies to be transmitted over the phone lines, and the side trip into the alarm panel and back is probably attenuating the signals. I think you need to talk to the alarm company and have them resolve the issue.

The VoIP issue is probably a DSL filter issue. You may need to improve your wiring and split the alarm off after the DSL signal. The easiest way to do this would be a DSL splitter, and connect the alarm to the analog output of the splitter. I'm also a big confused about the VoIP, that would normally be connected after your DSL modem, not to a separate phone line.

Purchase a DSL splitter and install it at the telco service entrance. Run a direct line from the DSL port on the splitter directly to the DSL modem. Connect all of the other phone instruments to the telephone output of the DSL splitter. All of the DSL analog side wiring should be CAT3 or better twisted pair from the telco service entrance to the DSL/ADSL modem. You can use one of the twisted pairs in CAT5 cable if you have that on hand.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/572156

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice