1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Why do the "Move To" & "Copy To" windows appear when I click on Start Menu?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by HalleluYAH, May 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HalleluYAH

HalleluYAH Thread Starter

Do you or anyone else willing to help me, know which registry key I would have to manually delete in order to remove the "Move To" and "Copy To" options from my context-menu?

Please help me solve the problems with my registry. I'm using Windows XP Pro (64-bit Edition). The problems started when I tried opening windows by clicking on folders & files, which are listed on my Start Menu:

Whenever I double-click (or right-click on any folders listed on my Start Menu, and then select "Open" or "Explore") to open files listed on the menu, the "Move To" & "Copy To" windows pop-up.

The "Move To" & "Copy To" windows won't go away, unless I click on "OK" or "Cancel". And now that I have the lastest stable-release of WinRAR installed on my XP, the "Move To" and "Copy To" options aren't listed on my context-menu, anymore. However, I can't open any of the folders I want to access via my Start Menu because my registry is still setup to make the "Move To" and "Copy To" windows appear. And now when I click on "OK" or "Cancel" on each of those windows: none of the folders I wanted to open appear.

The previous owner of my PC configured the registry to make the start-menu & context-menu include the "Move To" & "Copy To" options. So whenever I click on an option in the start menu, those windows appear 1st, rather than the appropriate windows that would have appeared if my registry wasn't messed up.

Would any of you please tell me how to make the start menu work normally without the "Move To" & "Copy To" windows appearing everytime I click on an option on the start menu?

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Sorry, I have no idea how to fix your particular issue. But, the way to avoid this kind of problem is to immediately format the disk and install the operating system fresh when taking possession of a previously owned computer.

3. HalleluYAH

HalleluYAH Thread Starter

Thanks. I appreciate your advice. And I'm following your instructions if I do decide to reformat the disk.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!