Why do Word perfect files want to be opened in MS word?!!!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

bj nick

I have many WP8 files I created that when I try to open them, they give the "convert from MS word 97" dialog box, and when I say ok, fine, I just get "illegal operation" and the program shuts down.

they were created in wp; why can't I just open them in wp? Why are they asking to be converted from ms word? Is there something I can do about this?

WhitPhil

Gone but never forgotten
Trusted Advisor
You still have WordPerfect installed?

If so, select a WP file, then with the Shift key held, right mouse, select Open With, scroll to WordPerfect, select it, ensure that "Always use this program ......" is selected, and OK your way out.

Open one of the files in notepad. Ir should start with something like: ÿWPC. This is what tells WP that it is a wpd.

There may be some corruption in the documents. Go to ftp://ftp.corel.com/pub/WordPerfect/wpwin/10/ and download WPlook.exe. This is a repair facility for WP documents. Try it on a COPY of one of your documents. Run the repair a couple of times on the document. Then try opening it in WP.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts