1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Why does a computer slow down if the hard drive is full?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by computersarecool, Oct 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. computersarecool

computersarecool Thread Starter

Hi, I recently restored a slow computer for a friend. They said it was running slowly, and they were right. The hard drive was 100% full, so I ran disk cleanup, and that freed up some space. Then, I uninstalled programs that they did not need. That freed up a ton of space. I got the free space up to 50%. After I defragmented, the thing was faster than my new laptop. Im just curious, why did freeing hard drive space speed up the computer, and why does a full drive slow down the computer?

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

1 Not enough room for windows to create a page file or too small of a page file.
    2 Excessive disk activity as it tries to find parts of files. When a drive is full, you cannot defrag the drive.

3. computersarecool

Why can't a full hard drive be defragmented?
    What is a page file?
    And thank you for replying so quickly :)

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Where would you move the files to when defragging?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paging

5. computersarecool

So, defragmenting a hard drive is like one of those sliding puzzles. There has to be at least one free area to slide the blocks to. The more free space, the easier it will be to solve it. So on a full hard drive, you can not move a file anywhere. If there was 1% free space, it would work. I do remember that when I first tried to defrag after disk cleanup, it said that it recommended that I have around 25% free space. I had 24%.
    Also, from what I understand from the article, paging means moving things to the memory to the hard drive if needed. If the hard drive is full, you run out of memory. Am I right about this?

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

If the drive is full, windows cannot manage the page file correctly. No, it is not going to work with 1% free space; you need quite a bit more than 1%

You are overthinking. When a drive is >60% full, you get a performance hit. The less free space, the greater the performance hit.

7. computersarecool

The computer was old though... It had windows XP.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1074440

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice