1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Why Does It Take Control Panel/Add-Remove A Long Time To Open?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Hulk701, Feb 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Hulk701

Hulk701 Banned Thread Starter

Hey Gang,

I have XPsp2. Why does it take Control Panel and in particular, Add/Remove Programs such a long time to open and populate its list.

It can take anywhere from 10-40 seconds to do this. My drive is 40% free.

IS there anything I can do about it?

Thanks,
    HULK:(

2. Chicon

Chicon

Hi Hulk701,

I guess it's because the utility browses the registry to retrieve the installed softwares.

3. paulb100

paulb100

Chicon is correct...especially where add N remove programs is concerned...
    if you have loads of software on then it will take longer...but shouldnt take 40 seconds....
    sounds like you need to run a registry cleaner and uninstall some apps you dont use anymore

ALSO

open MY COMPUTER then click on TOOLS then FOLDER OPTIONS
    click on the VIEW Tab and 'UNTICK' "Automaticaly Search For Network Folders and Printers"
    goto http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm and find the tweak for increase icon view and download and install it then reboot and try again

4. Hulk701

Hulk701 Banned Thread Starter

Well I tried your solution Paul and here is what I got:

[​IMG]

As you can see there are no boxes to tick.:confused: :eek:

Note: when I am SAFE MODE singed in as Administrator I can see the boxes. When I am in Normal Mode signed in as myself I can't.

As for registry cleaners I use Registry Booster and Norton System Works 2003 (Windoctor)

What should I do now?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!