1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Why does my computer eat hard drives?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Chloe50621, Jan 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Chloe50621

Chloe50621 Thread Starter

Hi,
    I bought a Systemax 700 MG computer, Win. Me - Feb. 2001. The hard drive gave out on it in Apr. 2001. It was under warranity, they came out and put a new hard drive in.
    Then in Apr. 2002 my computer would start crashing once in a while but it kept getting more & more often until I couldn't get it to work at all. It just had to have another hard drive installed (Jan. 14) It was under warranity with the store where I bought it.
    I am wondering what could make the hard drive give out again so soon? I turn it on in the morning (8 am ) and leave it on until 10pm. Is it hard on them to leave them on all day long?

I have it set in the Power Schemes - Always on
    Turn off Monitor - Never
    Turn off Hard disk - Never - is that setting ok or should I have it turn off in 1 hr. or so. What settings are correct to have??

I don't know why my computer could be eating up the hard drives unless it is just the computer.
    Anyone got any ideas why I am going through hard drives??

Thanks! Chloe

2. Rockn

Rockn

It's not the computer, it's the hard drives themselves. Are they the same make and model of hard drive you are replacing them with? If they are go with a different manufacturer. I have been running a 13GB Western Digital as a system drive for over 3 years now and not one hiccup. The only thing I do is in power management is to set it to turn off after 3 hours of inactivity, otherwise the PC runs 24 - 7

3. Lurker1

Lurker1

Hi Chloe

It's also possible that your replacement drive wasn't "new" Many times if a Hard drive is replaced under warranty the hard drive manufacturer sends out a refurbrished drive as a replacement.

4. Mahmud603

Mahmud603

Are the drives in question from Fujitsu ?

5. Chloe50621

How can you tell if they are refurbished?
    I am not sure how to find out what brand of hard drive that I have. What I did was go to System-Device Manager-Disk Drives and under it it said that it was a GENERIC IDE DISK TYPE47.
    That is the one that I have now.

I don't know remember what kind I had before, I think that it was a Generic also. I thought that it was new. When he came out he took it out of a new looking box. Win. Me was already installed on the hard drive (This is the one that just went bad and had to be replaced).

Thanks for all your replies! Chloe

6. Lurker1

Lurker1

You usually can't tell if the drive is refurbished unless you are the first one to open the replacement package and the package has a refurbrished sticker on it. Most new drives come with no software installed on them. I have lots of new looking boxes in my basement.
    Since the hard drive type is only showing up as generic probably the easyest way of telling what type hard drive you have is by looking at the drive itself. The manufacturer is usually printed some where on the drive.

7. Chloe50621

Thanks Lurker 1,
    The latest hard drive had to have Win. system installed on it, it was blank. It was still under American TV warranity - which would have ended in Feb. Can you believe that, it actually went out before the warranity ended! ususally it waits until the day after. haha
    Now I guess that the warranity is extended out for another 90 days, but probably just on the hard drive. If anything else goes wrong, we will probably have to pay for that.
    The warranity that came with the computer only lasted 1 yr. with Systemax then the next yr. we have to take it into American Tv. The warranity covered putting in the hard drive but not installing the Win. System on it. Like what can you do with a computer without the Win. system?? So being not very computer knowledgable we had to pay $97 for the Win. Me software to be installed. They get you one way or another, I guess. But at least it is working good now!

Thanks! Chloe

8. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Virtually every hard drive sold has a manufacturing date stamped somewhere on it. Also, look at the date codes for the chips on the PCB, it has to be somewhat newer than the newest chip on the board, usually the most expensive one. :)

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/114215

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice