1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Why does my laptop mount external drives?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Anasttin, Oct 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anasttin

Anasttin Thread Starter

Hi gang,

If I plug an external hard drive into a USB port on any computer I've ever worked with, the drive simply becomes accessible, which is great.

The thing is that I have a laptop provided by my school that seems to need to mount drives which is a nuisance because I have to unmount it when swapping to another computer and it often doesn't update when I re attach it, meaning it doesn't show the latest contents of the drive.

When I plug it in, it to the offending laptop, it say "drive mounted as drive 'K'" and then it is accessible.

Can anyone tell me how I make it like every other computer and just allow access without mounting/unmounting?

Thanks for your help.

Ana

2. SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Tech Support Guy Rules

3. Anasttin

Anasttin Thread Starter

Hi there,

The laptop was provided by my school but then the laptop became mine when I finished school having been paid off through school fees.

There's is nothing untoward here and I'd just like to be able to move my external drive to another computer, copy stuff on, and see it when I move it back to my laptop without first having to unmount and then mount the drive.

Thanks,

Ana

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1217514

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice