1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Why does my Laptop shut off when I move it?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Drifter721, Aug 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Drifter721

Drifter721 Thread Starter

This is a Toshiba Tecra 8100 Laptop. It functions great except for one aggravating issue, it reboots itself if it gets bumped or with the slightest movement. Very frustrating. Anyone know how to fix?

2. Ghosts

Ghosts

Something inside the case like a power connection could be loose

3. ineedhelp890

ineedhelp890

Is it stilll under warrenty?

4. Drifter721

No longer under warrantee. I'm on my own. Don't know where to start to look for the problem. The slightest bump and the system reboots itself, losing all my work.

Would appreciate anyone who might have a suggestion where to start looking?

5. winbob

winbob

Does the system operate OK on battery ONLY?

I'm wondering if the battery is bad, and the power cord attachment perhaps a little flaky?

6. Drifter721

I'll try it and we'll see! Thanks for the input!

7. ineedhelp890

ineedhelp890

Sounds to me like something in there has a lose solder connection. If the battery is in fact bad, than chances are there is a lose solder point for your power jack or the AC adapter has a short somewhere. When the computer turns off does the AC indicator light on the computer turn off also?

8. Drifter721

"When the computer turns off does the AC indicator light on the computer turn off also?"

No, the AC light stays on, and the battery light indicates it is charging when the power is turned off.

The problem occurs with or without the AC power adapter attached.

The power indicator lights do not seem affected (they don't blink or flicker unusually).

Sometimes, when I move the laptop slightly, the system doesn't shut all the way down, the cursor just freezes up. The cursor is non-responsive. There's a small hourglass next to the cursor. The hard drive indicator light is lit up then, and stays that way until I have to manually shut the power off and restart. It does this sometimes. (bad hard drive?)

At other times the screen will just go blank and unresponsive. Still other times it will just reboot itself with any movement.

9. inuyasha320

inuyasha320

open your laptop up then check every connection

10. ineedhelp890

ineedhelp890

If all your connections are good than my next guess would be a bad hard disk but to be honest it could be anything.

11. Drifter721

Thank you all for the help. I will check the connections.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/394781