1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Why does my processor speed keep on 'changing'?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Rasu, Apr 10, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Rasu

Rasu Thread Starter

I have noticed that my processor, which is a 850 Mhz has been detected lately as a 700 Mhz. Why is this?

Is this the new value? What can I do?? Please help!!

(Info obtained by clicking on Start>Programs>Accessories>System Tools>System Information.)

I use MS Windows 2000.

Help!! Thanks.:confused:

2. Trboy13

Trboy13

your computer doesn't like you :D

ok, prolly not try running something else to make sure it is not running at 850.

Download WinCPu to see what it says

cpuid
    you might want to run something like sisoft sandra(benchmarking program) to compare it to other 850 cpus.

sandra

if your cpu is actually running at only 700 mhz(and your sure its supposed to run at 850) you might have a big mess.

The cpu itself could be going bad or your motherboard could be going bad. Does anyone else use your computer? I know i would change things on my families computer all the time. The bios sometimes allows you to change things like the bus speed or the cpu multiplier(if its unlocked on the chip). I'm not sure if the bios battery might be dead and resetting your settings everytime you restart, but that shouldn't cause the problem because the bios should be set to go with whatever speed the chip wants.

how long have you noticed the problem?
    Your sure it ran at 850 before?
    did you recently move the computer?

3. Rasu

Rasu Thread Starter

This has been happening for the last few days. I have a HP Ominibook XP3 laptop, running Windows 2000.

I am sure that it ran at 850 Mhz before.

This has not happened before.

I keep on moving the laptop quite a bit every day.

What do you think I should do now? Thanks for your time.

4. Trboy13

Trboy13

doh, a little searching on google found the problem. Their is no problem. From searching it seems that you have a Crusoe processor which is built for long life. By changing its speed it can extend your battery life but it can beef up the speed when you need it. Aparently it slowed down when you detected it, or windows doesn't know how to detect it because it can change speed on they fly. Sorry if I scared you, but it seems like everything is fine, unless of course you have a different processor.

5. SexyTech

SexyTech

It's called "SPEED STEP TECHNOLOGY"!

It's a windows/Wintel thing...AMD has a similar feature but by a different name.

Basically go to your power options within Windows and adjust for Max Performance rather than Max Battery Life!

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/75801

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice