1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Why does my Windows XP find only two out of three memory modules ?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by DutchDownloader, Oct 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DutchDownloader

DutchDownloader Thread Starter

Hello,

can anyone tell me why my Windowx XP sees only 1024 MB memory while I've increased the original memory of 512 MB by 2x 512 MB ?

My motherboard has three DDR-slots. It had from the beginning a Kingston K 512MB PC2700 module in slot #1. This week I've added two Kingston K512 UDIMM 512MB PC2700 modules in the slots #2 and #3.
    All three modules has the type name KVR333X64C25/512, so I thought they would be compatible.

What have I done wrong ? And what can I do to let Windows XP know that it has 3x 512 MB at his disposal ?

Please help me...

2. Jeruvy

Jeruvy

This is really a hardware question, not an OS question.

Does BIOS detect all modules? Are you sure all the modules work? Did you test them?
    Does your motherboard support your modules and/or the installation of your modules?

3. DutchDownloader

Hi Jeruvy,

I use the appliction CPU-Z to check my BIOS and it says 1536 MBytes DDR memory.
    Another application, AIDA32, which I use to check my configuration, says I have 1023 MB memory. Yes, I believe that the BIOS does find a DDR-module in every of the three slots.

And sorry I have put this thread in the wrong category, but I think my BIOS is alright and my Windows XP isn't. But if you can convince me otherwise....

Regards,

DutchDownloader

4. Jeruvy

Jeruvy

I concur. CPU-Z is a great tool for this.

Test your memory using memtest, at least 3 passes ok before we leave your memory alone as good and working, otherewise we'll address the modules that errors. Again, lets ensure the motherboard is happy with 3 modules that you've installed.

5. DutchDownloader

Jeruvy,

I've run three passes with Memtest and no errors were reported. My gremlin must be either in de BIOS settings or in Windows XP. I did see in Memtest that my mainboard has disabled ECC. Today, prior to the Memtest run, I have swapped the DDR-modules from bank #1 and #3. So now banks #1 and #2 contain the two new DDR-modules and bank #3 the original DDR-module. But the result is still the same as Memtest shows: 1024 MB memory instead of 3x 512 MB.

6. Jeruvy

Jeruvy

What motherboard?

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/640525

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice