1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Why does USB Adapter want me to press a button on the Routert?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by wavering, Feb 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. wavering

wavering Thread Starter

Yesterday I bought a "N150 Netgear Wireless Micro USB Adapter WNA1000M", to give it its full name. No, this is NOT an advert, the thing is very small but very irritating - just like the donkey in Shrek. So don't buy one unless you must. No, not an advert for Shrek either - the first one was good but the follow ups were crap.

When I came to install it, after a huge amount of CD drive thrashing (why? my CD reader not good enough for you punk?) it finally gave me 120 seconds to press a button on the router (it also has a tiny button on the thing itself so there are TWO buttons to press)

Some questions:

1. How was I supposed to press a button on the router in a hotel? Especially in 120 seconds. Like a scene in a movie - "we have a 120 seconds before this thing goes off". As it happened, the router in the holiday home we are renting in Montana was accessible and I pressed every button I could see and it flashed in annoyance but the internet connection was finally made. No, this is NOT an advert for Montana either - the snow is crap right now.

2. Why does it want me to press a button on the router? When I first turned on my laptop it didn't ask me to press no button!

Thanks in anticipation
    wavering
    PS You can buy waverings on Amazon. Only kidding, only kidding. And yes - I am irritated at being accused of placing an advert in my first post

2. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

The button is for WPS (wifi protected setup). It allows easy transfer of security setting in the router to the wifi USB adapter, without you having to manually enter the settings. Of course as you found out, it assumes you have physical access to the router. The 120 seconds is for security reasons.

You should still be able to enter the settings manually according to instructions in the manual: http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/WNA1000M_IG_Genie_29FEB2012.pdf
    You should be able to get the settings to enter from the hotel.

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

There really was nothing that should have needed to be installed, except possibly a driver, so "thrashing" is not a good thing. It may mean that junk software that is likely to make things more complex and difficult to fix, as well as being useless, was installed.

And, unless necessary, you should never use software that comes with hardware. It is old, often first edition, and untried. You should always go to their web site and get the latest (after you get on, which may require at least a driver, of course).

In any case, simply rebooting, if nothing else works, ought to get you connected.

4. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

Sometimes you don't need to configure settings in a hotel. When you open your web browser, your default home page gets replaced with a hotel logon page where you agree to their terms of service, and you are given web access.

5. wavering

wavering Thread Starter

Yes. At the time I could not access the internet from my PC and thought there could be a physical problem with my internal wireless card. As it turned out, there was not. For background to this see my previous post:

http://forums.techguy.org/networking/1087931-solved-possible-wireless-card-fault.html

Yes. But the whole point was that I could not access the internet!

That was the first thing I tried. And deleting the Network from the network list - that usually does it. As explained before, the WinSock Registry entries had been corrupted and WinSockFix fixed it after a day of incredible frustration (fortunately we had other laptops that did connect to the web - otherwise I would have been goosed.)

So, if I turn up in a hotel, will it just work? I know from experience, that in hotels they know nothing about the wifi - you are lucky if they give you the correct Key, never mind asking about WPS settings

I really struggled to get it to work and I am an experienced programmer (OK, not a good programmer, but an experienced one). I would bet $1,000 that if you asked 10 random people to install it, only two would manage it. And one of them would be an IT guy.

There must be cupboards (closets to US readers) full of unused IT hardware that people gave up on

6. Rearden

Rearden Banned

You won't be using WPS at hotels or other hotpots. They're either give you the WPA passphrase or WEP key, or they will give you the information you need to enter on their website.

I agree with Elvandil. You don't need to install any software to use a wireless network adapter. You just need the drivers.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1088033

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice