1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Why does Vista performance degrade so easily

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by alexh1, Jul 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. alexh1

alexh1 Thread Starter

Hi,

I installed Vista on a brand new machine with Core Duo 2.4G, 2G DDRII, PCIe 16 video card and SATA II HD.

At work I have an HP machine with 3G Pentium 4 running XP for comparison.

When I installed Vista + Office I was thoroughly impressed with the speed. When I started internet explorer, it just popped onto the screen and even my DSL internet access seemed 4x faster. By comparison it seemed about twice as fast as my work machine.

Now that I have installed a few more things, it seems like a real dog. Basically doing anything brings up the hourglass for a few seconds. I re-ran the Windows performance score thingy and it reports the same values as before so the hardware has not changed. I suspect it's mostly Live Onecare slowing it down. I have also installed the Google toolbar.

Perhaps it's just the nature of the beast but it bothers me that I spent all this money on hardware yet my computer seems to be a real dog.

2. cuttlefish

cuttlefish

First Name:
    Ian
    I'm putting my money on Spyware!!!

http://www.lavasoft.de/products/ad_aware_free.php

Download this free version of Ad-Aware and see what it finds.................

The free version doesn't provide "real time monitoring" so you have to run the scan each day to clean any spyware out.

The paid version stops the spyware stuff getting in in the first place but the free one is OK for starters.

Also worth having a look at Task Manager (CTL ALT DEL will get that for you) - click on the heading tab marked CPU (twice) and it will sort the "load" in a decreasing order for you. Have a squiz and see if something is hogging the resources. You should typically see the "system idle process" in excess of 75-90%.

Do likewise on the memory tab and see if there is a memory hog there somewhere.

For something else to do, go to:

http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

and click on the "free scan" thingo.......................... does a pretty good job for a freebie!

3. alexh1

alexh1 Thread Starter

Jeez, I thought the whole point of Vista is that it's more secure!

-Update, I ran Spybot and it didn't find anything. There's nothing taking up any CPU resources in Task manager at idle.

It may just be all of the anti-spyware or the Vista GUI is just slow. I turned off Live OneCare and that didn't make any difference either.

4. wilson44512

wilson44512

did you try that Ad-Aware cuttlefish suggested? maybe it has something to do with what ever you installed on it? how many processes you have running?

5. Jakbrud

Jakbrud

6. uhaligani

uhaligani Guest

Have a look in Msconfig at the startup progs. Quite a lot of software (Like acrobat reader) puts an entry here, In most cases it is not needed. Acrobat, for example, works perfectly well without being included in the startup progs. If you have an ATI card, with the CCC installed, that can also slow things down a bit. I have no use for the CCC options and have disabled it. It made an enormous difference to my startup time.

7. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

"Now that I have installed a few more things, it seems like a real dog."

And there is the likely solution to the problem. What did you install?

8. alexh1

alexh1 Thread Starter

Thanks all,

I experimented with disabling various startup progs and disabling all the non-essential stuff helped quite a bit.

One thing that's a litle strange is that there are 2 googletoolbarnotifiers in startup and I can only disable one of them (the second one always comes back on it's own).

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/595802

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice