1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Why doesn't Belkin adapter connect to internet?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Wizze, Jul 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Wizze

Wizze Thread Starter

Hi

My Belkin wireless usb network adapter isn't connecting to the internet. The router and everything is fine as other computers in the house are working. It's just one desktop pc that isn't connecting.
    Our internet was running slower than it should and that was because we had too many wires and so in order to speed it up we decided to use a wireless connection instead of an ethernet cable.

The problem seems to be that the adapter just isn't connecting. The little icon showing the status of the connection keeps going back and forth from no connection to attempting to connect.

I've made sure the box about the ip address is ticked and things like that. Is there any other way? Or maybe the adapter is no good.

My computer is Windows XP.

Thanks

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    What is the distance between the adapter and your wireless access point and what is between them (walls, floors, major appliances, etc)?

Have you tried using an extension USB cable between the adapter and computer and then changing the position and orientation of the adapter relative to your wireless access point?

Is there a possibility that there is another wireless access point nearby operating on the same or adjacent channel as your wireless access point and it is interfering with your wireless connection? A free windows program like inSSIDer can be used to identify other wireless access points operating in your area and their relative signal strengths.

Not sure what you mean by too many wires, but shifting some wire LAN connections to wireless will probably not help with increasing the speed of your Internet connection.

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

Those things are certainly troublesome. I have had all kinds of problems with those Belkin devices. But my solution was basically to simplify things. When you use the installer from Belkin, it also installs some completely unnecessary "management" software that interferes with Windows own networking. I removed all the software and then installed just the bare driver with nothing else. That seemed to work the best.

There are a few updates available on their site for drivers. There may be one for yours and XP. If you find one, and you can't find the driver separate, or it doesn't help, let me know and I will try to extract the bare driver from the installer package for you.

Your connection will also suffer from high CPU usage elsewhere. So if something is cranking your CPU usage near 100%, find out what is doing it and solve that problem, too.

And pay attention to what cwwozniak has asked, too. Very little of what I have said means anything if the signal itself is poor.

4. Wizze

Wizze Thread Starter

Umm well i dont know the distance exactly but it's not far at all, in the next room. There is nothing in between them, just a dining table really. There is another computer upstairs that is also wireless on a different belkin adapter that works fine so I don't know if it's distance. Maybe this adapter is interfering

Could it be anything to do with the fact that the adapter doesn't have a stand, I've just directly plugged it into a usb port at the front of the pc?

The signal strength of the internet is labelled as being Excellent which is a lot better than it has ever been.

The speed of the internet has increased because we used to use a number of modems in order for wires to reach the computer. Now we've removed the modems and have one modem plugged and a wireless for the connection.

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Please attach a screen shot of the Networks page of the Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector.

The tool Chuck recommended is similar if you prefer it.

6. Wizze

Wizze Thread Starter

The screenshot of the networks page from the xirrus inspector is attached. The inSSIDer was a bit confusing :)

Thanks, I hope this helps.

Attached Files:

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You seem to be getting a good strong signal with no interference from other networks.

I don't have any experience with Belkin adapters, but you certainly need to make sure you don't have the Belkin utility running if you are using XP's WZC, as Elvandil advised. And if you are trying to use the Belkin utility you need to make sure that WZC is not running.

Disable encryption and MAC Address filtering on the router and try to connect. If successful you can probably re-enable encryption and reconnect.

8. Wizze

Wizze Thread Starter

Thank you TerryNet :) could you please explain the part about encryption?

Elvandil - Please could you help with simplifying the Belkin adapter as you said? I think I'd like to try that too.

9. Elvandil

Elvandil

If you found a new driver, can you give me the link? If not, the original filename of the driver you used.

10. Wizze

Wizze Thread Starter

11. Elvandil

Elvandil

Here is the bare driver. Good luck. It was not easy getting this one free of the installation package, but I learned more in the process. :D

f5d8053v6-win7drvr.zip

12. Wizze

Wizze Thread Starter

Thank you! I'll try this right away :)

13. Elvandil

Elvandil

As you may notice, that device is really a Realtek RTL8192SU. They have more software (and possibly a different version of the driver) here. Their installer also includes a utility, but maybe it will work better.

14. Wizze

Wizze Thread Starter

I probably should have asked before, how do i use the extracted driver you provided? I downloaded it but couldn't find anything in it to install. Am I meant to download something with it? All I found were 3 files but none gave me any options to install anything when I clicked on them.

15. Elvandil

Elvandil

You open Device Manager and choose to update the driver. Follow all the prompts that are for manual options (not automatic) untill it asks you for the location of the driver. Point it to the inf file in that folder and it will install.

Alternatively, uninstall all that you have installed now for that device (choosing to delete the driver files) and reboot. The wizard should pop up and you can then point it to the inf file.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1005809

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice