1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Why has my hotmail randomly stopped giving me mail?

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Remes, Oct 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Remes

Remes Thread Starter

I have had this same email for around 10 years and even though it's a silly embarrassing name in terms of reliability it has been impeccable as far as I can recall.

All of a sudden tonight it decided to stop sending me emails which I knew I was to receive.

Replies from other forums as well as the sign up activation mail for this forum and another both were not received after waiting over 30 minutes with still nothing (and of course I checked the junk mail).

I tried to send an email to myself from my same hotmail and nothing.

I also tried sending several form other mails and still nothing.

After awhile I was getting one or two reply notifications from different forums come through but now I cannot trust it. I have no idea what is getting through and what isn't as when I got those replies I did another self email check and still nothing.

Any idea what is going on here?

I even checked another hotmail account to send something to that one and it worked fine so I am rather puzzled by this.

I will probs slowly migrate to another account as I have planned to do so for a long time and so this will probably be the motivating factor however I have many many internet accounts tied to that hotmail address so I may be getting important mails and losing them randomly and have no idea.

Could there be something more sinister going on such as someone intercepting the mails such that they don't get through or am I just being paranoid there? Is that likely or not so much? That or some virus?

2. Remes

Remes Thread Starter

Hmm not a moment after I made this post I checked it again and a couple of the mails I sent myself seems to have come through plus another one which I know would have been sent earlier. The clog in the pipe seems to be slowly unblocking...

3. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

I've stopped using Hotmail years ago. Never understood why people are so attached to it! It's slow, very busy, and gets loads of spam, even with tons of filters!

I'm using Yahoo as my webmail and I never receive spam, without even having to configure filters manually.

4. Remes

Remes Thread Starter

Hmm good point actually.

I get mountains of spam on my hotmail, yet my gmail is crystal clear.

Now I'm not sure is this is cos I've used my hotmail and signed up to so many random forums over the years that spammers have got my mail through those means or whether the gmail filtering system is better.

I'd guess prob more of the former, either way you just gave me another incentive to move all my stuff over :)

5. blues_harp28

blues_harp28 Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Also check GMX - it will upload other email accounts and you will be able to easily tell friends etc of your new account with GMX.
    And you can then close down Hotmail.

'Our Mail Collector gives you the freedom to manage all of your e-mail accounts in one, easy-to-use interface'
    http://www.gmx.com/

6. Remes

Remes Thread Starter

Thanks, I'll check that out.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!