why I'm po'd at apple

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

larrycleve

I helped my mother buy an apple computer. I'm a windows user who's had four windows computers over 15 years and so I have no experience with apple. The sales clerk at the apple store assured me the imac g4 would work wirelessly with my dlink router. He also said he'd install all software including printer driver and we could pick it up the next day. My mother also bought extended support for $250. We get there late in the afternoon the next day and have to wait a half hour when it should have been ready for us to take and go. We get home, set it up, and no software was installed. We get it to connect to the internet but not automatically at startup. It only works after clicking the wavy lines and then default. After long talks with different support people they finally say it won't connect automatically to the internet except with an apple router. Now several months later the e-mail app has stopped accepting the password. We can access the e-mail from the web with no problem but the e-mail app keeps asking for the password. We put in the same one as for the web account but the e-mail app keeps saying the password is incorrect. I called tech support, and after 20 minutes on hold, he said the 90 day free support had expired. I told him we had the extended support but he said there was no record of that. I told him we had the receipt with an apple care number. He said the number didn't mean anything. He connected me to someone else, and after 10 minute on hold, he told me the store was supposed to set up the apple care account and never did. He set the account up and said it would take 5 days to start but he gave me a case number to use till then. Then he switched me back to tech support. After another 20 minutes on hold the support person told me they don't support .mac questions and that I should go on the web and e-mail their support. The web support says I'll get an answer in 48 hours. What is the point in paying more for a computer that has the same problems windows has? Why pay $250 for tech support that keeps you on hold and doesn't answer your questions? My last windows computer came with one year 24/7 free tech support and they always answered the phone in less that 5 minutes and always had an answer. I would never recommend apple to anyone. Thanks for putting up with my long rant.

larrycleve said:
I helped my mother buy an apple computer. I'm a windows user who's had four windows computers over 15 years and so I have no experience with apple. The sales clerk at the apple store assured me the imac g4 would work wirelessly with my dlink router. He also said he'd install all software including printer driver and we could pick it up the next day. My mother also bought extended support for $250. We get there late in the afternoon the next day and have to wait a half hour when it should have been ready for us to take and go. We get home, set it up, and no software was installed. We get it to connect to the internet but not automatically at startup. It only works after clicking the wavy lines and then default. After long talks with different support people they finally say it won't connect automatically to the internet except with an apple router. Now several months later the e-mail app has stopped accepting the password. We can access the e-mail from the web with no problem but the e-mail app keeps asking for the password. We put in the same one as for the web account but the e-mail app keeps saying the password is incorrect. I called tech support, and after 20 minutes on hold, he said the 90 day free support had expired. I told him we had the extended support but he said there was no record of that. I told him we had the receipt with an apple care number. He said the number didn't mean anything. He connected me to someone else, and after 10 minute on hold, he told me the store was supposed to set up the apple care account and never did. He set the account up and said it would take 5 days to start but he gave me a case number to use till then. Then he switched me back to tech support. After another 20 minutes on hold the support person told me they don't support .mac questions and that I should go on the web and e-mail their support. The web support says I'll get an answer in 48 hours. What is the point in paying more for a computer that has the same problems windows has? Why pay $250 for tech support that keeps you on hold and doesn't answer your questions? My last windows computer came with one year 24/7 free tech support and they always answered the phone in less that 5 minutes and always had an answer. I would never recommend apple to anyone. Thanks for putting up with my long rant.

Well, since it sounds like your main beef is tech support and sales, I should probably point out you had better luck than I ever had with my brief foray into the world of prefabbed computers and paid for tech support for Windows based computers! :eek:

First computer: Desktop Manufacturer: iBuypower Based In: San Francisco

Experience: Got the computer, it came in a crappy case even though the website said it was a good one, me being a total n00b to buying and having my own computer believed them. Turned it on. Right off the bat, the modem didn't work. There's no highspeed out here, this is basic stuff we're talking about. Called up the Techsupport and after about 5 hours arguing with them, they figured out it had a bad modem. They told me they'd send me another modem, but I'd have to install it myself. I had paid for on-site tech support, but they argued, and argued, and argued. It was getting close to the time when they'd shut their call center down, so he told me so. He said they'd send me the modem, it was basic stuff, all I had to do was plug it in. I finally said "Okay, just ship me the damn thing." Came in two weeks, meanwhile my computer was useless for the internet. Finally came, installed it, had to send the OLD one back. They hadn't sent me the shipping slip, they said they had, I said they hadn't, they called the shipper, and low and behold, they hadn't. Waited another week for the slip, sent the old modem back. It was finally working. Later on, the whole system fried, due to the crappy power supply they'd shoved in it (I had installed no new hardware, when I picked the thing up later after dismantling and salvaging, it probably weighed 3 lbs). My warranty wasn't up yet, so I called them up. They said it was MY fault for installing the modem in it (the one they sent me). :(

Second Computer: Notebook Manufacturer: P3 Direct Based in: ???

Experience: Got the notebook, worked for a few months, then simply wouldn't turn on, I had followed the manual to the letter so I was pretty sure it wasn't my fault. I called tech support up....I got an answering system even though I called during the hours specified and left a message. I'm STILL waiting for that message...

Third Computer: Notebook Manufacturer: Dell Based in: Texas

Best experience overall, still had the tremendously long holds, but they fixed it for me (which involved hidden service charges, the plan I bought only covered the PHONE CALL!)...

Fourth Computer: Gaming Rig I bought and put together myself when the first one blew out, ironically, it's been the best one to date!

larrycleve said:

Very strange--I have one Apple and 5 PC's on my network and my Apple is always on the Internet--I use the Linksys WRT54 router---

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online