1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Why install XP2?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by blh102444, Sep 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. blh102444

blh102444 Thread Starter

I have a firewall and anti virus program and no known problems. Is there any good reason to install XP2? I have read and heard of people hanving problems with it, How can it help me?

2. 700mb80min

700mb80min Banned

sp2 has alot ( and i mean alot ) of security fixes , some updates , some security fixes , some bug repairs , and also security fixes ...get the picture . :D .....do a search for the good/bad of this monster and decide yourself...me , i`m gonna wait until they actually have this thing fixed ! (y)

3. shadowcat

shadowcat

Take a look at http://forums.techguy.org/search.php?searchid=368059 and you'll find lots of problems with it. I've tried it and promptly uninstalled it when it made my computer startup slower than a snail. That's minor compared to others who have different experiences. Then, there are also people who have no problems with SP2, so it all depends on the computer's software configuration.

4. mimo2005

mimo2005

Exploit for Microsoft JPEG Flaw Is Published Security
    Code that claims to exploit a weakness in Microsoft software's handling of image files has been published on the Internet. The critical security hole allows a remote attacker to create a JPEG image that, when viewed in Microsoft software programs, will allow the hacker to gain control of the computer.

Affected Software:
    • Microsoft Windows XP and Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 1
    Affected Components:

• Internet Explorer 6 Service Pack 1

Non-Affected Software

• Microsoft Windows NT Server 4.0 Service Pack 6a
    • Microsoft Windows NT Server 4.0 Terminal Server Edition Service Pack 6
    • Microsoft Windows 2000 Service Pack 3, Microsoft Windows 2000 Service Pack 4
    • Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2

5. mimo2005

mimo2005

SEATTLE (AP) -- Though Microsoft Corp.'s new security update package is all about protecting systems from worms, viruses and spyware, it can't do much about what's already on computers -- and that could pose a problem.
    The company is warning users of the Windows XP operating system to check for spyware before downloading the free massive security update, called Service Pack 2.

Barry Goff, a group product manager at Microsoft, said some spyware could cause computers to freeze up upon installation of the update.

Spyware, which typically piggybacks with downloaded software such as file-sharing programs, tracks behavior, triggers pop-up ads and can otherwise cause problems on computers.

Programs such as Ad-Aware and SpySweeper can scour computers for spyware. Microsoft recommends that users clean their PCs of spyware and back up their data before turning on the auto update feature that automatically downloads Service Pack 2, or SP2.

People who download SP2 also may need to check whether legitimate programs, such as third-party security software, need to be updated. SP2 makes major changes, including adding a Windows firewall to better guard computers against attack, and those changes can also cause compatibility issues with other software.

6. blh102444

blh102444 Thread Starter

i think i will leave it alone.

7. Old Rich

Old Rich

Why? . . .

Native Firewall that is on when the system first starts up . .

Effective and simple pop-up blocker

Much improved Wireless Connection manager . .

but my nmber one reason to upgrade is that I have seen a noticable improvement in performance on every machine I have installed it on . .( over 25 so far ) . . . I'd install it just for that.

Lots of negative statements out there about SP-2, but by far the biggest cause of problems is pre-existing sypware, malware, viruses and junkware ( special screen savers, wallpaper, fonts, icons . . other nonsense)

When properly installed on a clean system, it works well and is a big improvement over SP-1. Installations from the full download or Microsoft CD seem to be the most trouble free. Slipstreamed installs turn out even better.

Just my € .02

wrs

8. napoliandynamite

napoliandynamite

And they're offering a free cd of this thing if you dont wanna sit around for eons...

9. redoak

redoak Gone but never forgotten

10. GPaDavis

GPaDavis

I'm one of those who does not trust M$ patches. Have none installed and no virii, bugs, nasties for almost 3 years now. Do maintain tight control with firewall, anti-virii, spy-bots, Grisoft 3 musketeers. All kept updated.

Anyway, don't take my word for it. Check out the following URL:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/09/17/xphome_sp2/

p.s. I've let many testing sights to attempt to penetrate -- they all failed! But no thanks to M$.

Bob

11. Old Rich

Old Rich

Can't help but wonder if you do not trust Microsoft patches, how you can trust Microsoft operating system . . Patches are nothing but updates to the operating system and would be included in any operating system you bought today . .

wrs

12. GPaDavis

GPaDavis

Your point well taken -- for the new buyer. But look at it from my position: To install patches that might cause big problems or, worse, wipe my system out completely when my "manually" patched OS is operating quite well. Again, no infestations whatsoever in almost 3 years. Mine "ain't broke so why fix it?".

I must add that I removed IE long ago. Yeah, it can be done -- not easy though. I use Mozilla instead -- more stable overall. Just having IE out of the picture cuts about half or more of the security problems out. Then again, ActiveX doesn't exist either, or other weird features that M$ came up with originally. Interesting -- even M$ disables ActiveX now and they've conceded the OS over to Sun Java instead of theirs. That, alone, tells you something.

I'm not recommending others take the steps that I have. Just to show that it can be done. If a user installs a good firewall (NOT M$!). It only stops incoming cracking attempts. Anything already in your computer can still get out. ZoneAlarm, for example, takes care of that kind of thing automatically. Add to that the "3 musketeers" by Gibson (grc.com), good AV's and Spybot programs and you've done EXACTLY what SP1 and SP2 do!

I'm no idiot, though. I have a cd copy of SP-2 -- just in case! I do try to cover all my bets. Check all the links in the URL I cited previous post to this thread. Opens one's eyes!

Bob

13. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

The best reason to install it is - you paid for it, take it. Would you ignore any other critical update that came through? If your car manufacturer recalled your car for potential brake problems, would you think twice?

I haven't come across any but the most minor problems having carefully followed the instructions (reproduced above by Mimo2005) and neither have I seen many on the many message boards where I seek knowledge and post back any I already have.

Go ahead - install it. You'll find it in Add and Remove Programmes if you want to take it out.

14. Emtronics

Emtronics

You ALWAYS hear from the squeaky wheel. The masses that have NO PROBLEMS with SP2 is huge! Think about it, millions use Windows, if only 1% had complete failure of SP2, then this board and others would be jammed, not with 100's ot 1000's but with 10's of thousands.

Take SP2. Like Saga Lout pointed out, you paid for it.

15. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

I set a restore point, downloaded and installed it. Gave it about 5-6 days to see if I could be happy with it at this point and I can't.
    I removed it, went to my restore point and then did a repair install to be totally sure I was rid of it.
    I had no major problems with it, I just don't want microsoft having complete control of my system updates or an annoying little shield in my system tray. I have run my own popup blocker for years and have every other patch for XP microsoft has issued. I also run my own firewall and virus program. I am immunized with spybot, run adwatch, have spyware blaster and stay on top of my machine. I don't need SP2 as I feel I have taken care of all fixes it offers before it was ever released.
    I don't think I will be reinstalling it until MS in all their wisdom stops support for SP1.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/275196

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice