1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Why is everything being blocked?

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by skymasterson40, Feb 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. skymasterson40

skymasterson40 Thread Starter

Hi,

Just noticed recently that when I try to run certain applications on my IE browser that may resemble a pop-up, they are blocked and there is no way I can access them.

For ex, I have to do many online quizzes for a course I'm taking and when I push the button to launch the quiz which is supposed to come up in a small box, it seems to be blocked or prevented from running. I also noticed when I try to use the online website program, pagebuilder by geocities, launching that application is also haulted.

I have tried:
    -clicking the "turn off pop-up blocker" option
    -adding the sites I am accessing to the "allow pop ups from these sites" list
    -downloading a different browser
    -turning off my Norton Antivirus software
    -downloading the latest java plug-in

No matter what I did, I could not access these applications on my computer. However, on a public computer at the library or on my friend's computer they ran pefectly fine.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Tom W

2. Monstrous Mi

Monstrous Mi

Do you have scripting of java applets enabled?

Tools>Internet Options>Security>Internet>Custom Level

3. skymasterson40

skymasterson40 Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice but I figured it out on my own--

My stupid Norton Antivirus works great except it blocks the stuff I actually want as well. I uninstalled it and tried the applications I couldn't previously get into and they magically worked. Now all I have to do is see what setting on Norton was blocking the applications because I thought I tried playing with everything.

It only took me like 2 days, lol...thanks anyway

4. Monstrous Mi

Monstrous Mi

That's odd. When an anti-virus program blocks something, it usually tells you all about it.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!