1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Why is IE so often "required" for stuff?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Bender412, May 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Bender412

Bender412 Thread Starter

Like for example, I just bought a wireless keyboard/mouse, and IE was listed as a system "requirement." It's a super-basic keyboard, no internet or mail hotkeys or anything. If IE is just a browser, why is it required for so many pieces of hardware and software? What does IE have to do with my keyboard & mouse?

2. Compiler

Compiler

Stupid marketing. Don't worry about. What is it, a Microsoft mouse/keyboard? There is a chance that its "update" software is "fixed" to only talk to IE.

I disable any update function on such devices.... how many updates are needed for a MOUSE?! The left button is still left and the letter A on the keyboard still make the letter A display on the screen, etc.

3. Bender412

Bender412 Thread Starter

It's not a Microsoft (it's a Rosewill) ... but what puzzles me is why the hardware lists IE as a "requirement" ... does that literally mean a requirement? As in the keyboard/mouse actually wouldn't work without it? Or is it more likely that it's software update related, like you mentioned? I'm not "worried" about anything, it's just that I see this ALL THE TIME & i never understood why!

4. Compiler

Compiler

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

IE serves as the background processor of many system protocols. Many Help files are written in HTML and need to be rendered. If the program includes an online Help source, it probably contains an embedded shortcut to IE. And more programs these days for things other than the web are being written in HTML or XML, which can also be rendered by IE.

In fact, IE and Explorer are inextricably connected. If you type a web address in an Explorer address box, for example, Explorer will bring you to that web page. This happens even if IE has been deleted from the system, so Explorer contains almost all of IE's functionality within itself.

The vast majority of special plugins for web content are created for IE. There are many web pages with 3D content, for example, that can't be viewed in any other browser because the plugin for it only exists for IE. Scientific modelling of molecules is designed only for IE. Since IE has a large majority of web surfers (around 80%), developers create web content compatible with IE before they consider other browsers.

6. Compiler

Compiler

Which is exactly why IE needs to be knocked down many pegs... its a browser and needs to follow standards.

But IE hasn't had 80% of the browser market for quite a while, which is why even MS is now more functional for non-IE browsers.

Current market share:
    MS IE 59.95%
    Firefox 24.59%
    Chrome 6.73%
    Safari 4.72%
    Opera 2.30%

IE is still pretty much the worst browser out there, ugly and bulky. I'm a proud Opera 10.5 user, to use IE would be very counter-productive. If trends continue... IE will be down to 50% by 2011. yeah!

7. Compiler

Compiler

Oh, heres a website that keeps up with market shares... including OS, and by version.

http://marketshare.hitslink.com/browser-market-share.aspx?qprid=2

There are still far more XP users than all the other OSes put together, including Win7 and Vista.
    Win7 is quickly catching up to vista... maybe in 12 months, XP will be down to 50%.

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Where I work, we use a lot of proprietary software written in house. They write it for IE since that is all the IT dept supports. Some of the stuff will work with firefox and some will not. I know you cannot print your flight schedule from FF; printing only works in IE.

9. Compiler

Compiler

Yeah, I know... but there are things that work fine in Opera that also don't work in FF.
    Still, I will consider *ANY* person or company that only programs a site specifically for IE only to be lazy or unskilled. In the late 90s, with IE having control of about 80%+ of the browser market - *I* did make sure my code worked on IE first, and sometimes a lot didn't quite work well with Netscape. FF should be able to print - but then again, until Opera 10.5x came out - their printer component was seriously flawed... pretty much useless.

Why write for IE if that is all they know, why not make a REAL program in C or vBasic or .net? If your tools are in a browser, it should be standardized. If they (whoever) makes a tool that works only with IE6 but then barfs all over itself in IE8 - then it still creates a problem, no?

But IE is such garbage with incompatibilities between its own versions and its security flaws. But yes, are two website-tools that I use that require FF or IE, period. I'll use FF then. Another website-tool is actually buggy under IE8, useless. Works pretty good under Opera, but its perfect in Chrome. Turns out the programmer went from IE7 (vista) for a year ago and did updates for his Win7/Chrome setup... for which I told him to NOT bother fixing it for IE and waste his time.

PS: When IE 3.0 came out, because of its features, looks and abilities to show Japanese text - I switched off of Navigator. I used IE up to ver 6. Ver 7 sucked. Ver 8.0 sucked - but after a few months of patches, its usable. But I use IE less than 1%... usually to see if I'm having a compatibility problem :)

If IE is able to get below 50%, it would be great for the browser and internet when it happens.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/920349

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice