1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Why Is My 2.7 Mgz. Processor 1.8mgz.?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sacacaca, Sep 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sacacaca

sacacaca Thread Starter

i just bought a new motherboard Micro-Star International Model km400-8235 (or km4m-v / km3m-v). with a x86 family 6 model 8 stepping 1 authenticAMD ~1800 Mgz. processor. the 1800 should read 2700 Mgz. at boot i get Athlon xp 2200+.
    the guys i purchased from told me i was getting 2.7 mgz. i'm taking it back saturday to have them see whats going on they said it was a bios thing. did i get less than i paid for or are they jerking me around? ....thanks in advance for any assistance..........<:{)

2. justin_9733

justin_9733

you mean Ghz?

3. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

HUH? Do you have an 1800+ processor, a 2600+ processor? What processor are you running? A 2700+?

Your post doesn't make clear what you have. None of them run stock at 2.7 ghz though. A 2700+ is comparable to a P4 2.7 ghz. It does not run at 2.7 ghz.

4. sacacaca

sacacaca Thread Starter

ok at boot up i'm getting that i'm using Athlon xp 2200+. at system info. it says that i'm have a x86 family 6 model 8 stepping 1 authenticAMD ~1800 Mgz. processor. the guys i purchased from said i should have 2.7 ghz. or 2700 mgz. and i dont see this anywhere..thanks for your response hope this is clearer if not let me know.

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

The Athlon 2200+ doesn't run at anywhere near 2.7 (or even 2200 MHz), so unless the processor is being misidentified by the BIOS, you are getting taken.

If, however, they can show you that setting a higher FSB speed makes the processor ID change and actually run at 2.7 (which is not a speed for any AMD's that I know of), without overclocking, then I guess you got a deal. It will be interesting to see their explanation.

The Athlon XP 3200+ only runs at 2.2 GHz.

6. sacacaca

sacacaca Thread Starter

thanks for the info. i want to be prepared with some info. when a approach them saturday.

7. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

I can get my 2400+ to say it is an 1800+ in the bios, I can get it to say it is a 2600+ also. I can get it to identify itself about 6 - 8 different ways. If it is supposed to be a 2700+ then the multipliers should be at 166 external and 13, or 166x13. Then your bios will report a 2700+.
    Try messing with the multipliers before you take it back or they are liable to give you the "look" if you know what I mean.:eek:

8. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

Even a 2700+ is only going to run at 2.16 ghz though. I am thinking they gave the old "a 2700+ equals a 2.7ghz speech. While true in theory it is still misleading.(n)

9. batharoy

batharoy

To expand on what skivvy is talking about.
    You don't want to mess with your multipliers because you probably
    have a "locked" CPU. What you need to do is go into your BIOS and adjust
    you Front Side Bus frequency it is probably set at the default setting of
    133MHz it needs to be set to 166MHz to get the full potential of your CPU.
    Even after you set this in your BIOS it will still only say that it runs at
    2.17GHz or 2100-2200MHz.
    If you don't know how to adjust settings in your BIOS then I suggest
    you go to the Tweaktown BIOS Guide and read
    or take it back to the store and let them do it for you.

10. techkid

techkid

First Name:
    David
    The AMD system describes the equivalent speed that it can compete against.

If it is a 2700+, it can compete well against a 2.7GHz rival CPU, but its internal speed is probably 1.8-2.0GHz (the primary source of overheating problems in AMD processors).

11. drkilldrmz

drkilldrmz

Looks like to me that they sold you an amd 2200+ cpu. The bios sees it and tells you that. It also tells you that it's running at 1.8 ghz which is also right. The only issue i see here is if someone actually told you they sold you a chip that would run at 2.7 ghz, or if they said they sold you a 2700+. Then that would be misleading.

12. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

Oh God. It may be "locked" but you can still get it to run lower speeds by lowering the FSB.
    A 2700+ can be set at auto x 166 or 166x13. The default mobo settings are going to give you a lower speed, and the FSB is either changed by a jumper or in the bios. I don't know the mobo so I would say look at the manual. I am thinking the FSB is set to 133 which is the cause of the whole problem. 133x13 is 1800 mhz. 166x13 is 2158 mhz. or rounded off 2.16 ghz. the speed of a 2700+. If the FSB is set wrong, the bios WILL report the processor wrong.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/274933

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice