1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Why is my brothers computer better than mine?

Discussion in 'Games' started by Jaxx6888, Jan 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jaxx6888

Jaxx6888 Thread Starter

Seems like a strange question maybe but heres a little info.

By brother recently needed a computer for his collage work so after saving enough money what we decided to do was give him my old one and buy a new one for me.

Anyway we now play together on some online games. but the thing is I have so many problems with performance while his runs very nicely.
    For example we both play world of warcraft.

His game sits at a comfortable 30-50 FPS while mine drags at 10-20 FPS

Bear in mind the settings he uses are pretty much identical to mine and I have tested it.

Now for the specs.

Both running XP

My computer.(new)

Intel Pentium 4 3.20Ghz (2CPUs)
    1024 MB RAM
    Nvdia GeForce 7300GS 512MB

His computer.(Old)

AMD Athlon XP 2800+ , MMX, 3D Now ~2100 Ghz
    1024 MB RAM
    Nvidia GeForce 6600 GT 128 MB

there is probably other specs that might effect performance just let me know and I will get them for you.

At the moment I feel like I have wasted alot of money on a poor machine if it cant keep up with my older one.

2. dungeonguard

dungeonguard

Can you tell us what brand your machine is? Exactly what operating system are you using, Home, Media Center, Pro? What brand is his machine? What is the operating system on his machine? This will help.

3. Jaxx6888

Jaxx6888 Thread Starter

Both PC are made by Aries
    Both are using XP home edition

4. coolpcguy

coolpcguy

Undoubtedly the cause for the difference in frame rate is the Graphics Card. Although you have a GeForce 7300 with 512MB, your bro has a GeForce 6600 GT which is *much* faster than the 7300 GS.

Here's the specs:
    GeForce 6600 GT: Pixel processors: 8, Vertex processors:3, bus width:128-bit GPU Speed: 500Mhz, RAM Speed: 1000 MHz
    GeForce 7300 GS: pIxel Processors:4, Vertex Processors:4, bus width:64-bit
    GPU Speed:550 MHZ, RAM Speed: 700MHz

THe 7-series badge on the 7300 is a misnormer, it is a budget card aimed at replacing the 6200. Hence the performance difference

5. Blinding

Blinding

Yea im gonna have to agree with coolpcguy on this one. The 6600 is made for gaming in a sense. Its what I use as well for gaming. I run WoW At a comfortable 40-60fps with an AMD 3000+ and 1024 of Ram. Im not sure about the 7300 but I do know that the 6600 is a gaming video card as I did someresearch on it before building my computer.

6. Compiler

Compiler

You have a few problems...

1 - The 6600GT murders the 7300. (The 7600GT easily kills the 6600 and is sometimes faster than the 6800GT) - Video card is biggest issue.

2 - P4 3.2Ghz (2 CPUs) doesn't mean much. WHAT CPU do you actually have. From what you're telling me - a 3.2Ghz P4 with HyperThreading turned on - This is a "feature" where the CPU may act or look like a dual-core CPU, but its not even close. HT also tends to scew things up and many people turn that function off. For the price of that system, an AMD64 4200/4000 could have been bought:
    http://www23.tomshardware.com/cpu.html?modelx=33&model1=461&model2=469&chart=166 ( don't know what CPU you actually have - so red selected on a guess)

3 - RAM : What speed RAM is installed? With intel and DDR2; thats an important factor - 667mhz (they have this thing against 666mhz for some reason) is recommend for performance.

4 - because the 7300 is also accessing your REAL memory, its also sucking up resources and causing a performance hit.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/540009

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice