1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Why is my computer so slow?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Lupus21, Jan 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Lupus21

Lupus21 Thread Starter

I have this problem with my computer.I´ve noticed it takes 2-4 longer on my computer to copy a cd´s worth of files to the harddisk than on other computer.On other computers it takes maybe,a few minutes,on my computer it takes atleast 20 minutes,plus, the computer freezes almost completely so it´s impossible to do anything while copying.
    So,I was wondering,if I just have some setting that´s wrong with the computer or why is it so slow?
    My computer is AMD Duron 900 mhz,128 mb ram and the harddisk is a Maxtor 40 gb.I use Windows 98.

2. ChrisEllingt

ChrisEllingt

did you compare you comp's hard drive and/or CDROM speed to the other computer?

3. Lupus21

Lupus21 Thread Starter

I didn´t really compare them,how do I do that?
    Altough,I don´t think that´s the problem ´cause there really isn´t that much of a difference in the hard drives and the cd-drives.The harddrives are quite new and the cd-drives´speeds are about 40x.
    So one couldn´t really be 2-4 times faster...

4. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Also what kind of stuff are you running in the background without knowing it?

Start button, run, then type msinfo32 and hit ok.....go to software, running tasks, edit, select all, edit, copy and come back and paste.

5. JSanguancheu

JSanguancheu

How much RAM is in the second PC compared to yours?

6. Lupus21

Lupus21 Thread Starter

I attached the background program-file.I have this program VKstartupmanager that can be used to remove all unnecessary programs from the background,so I don´t the problem can be found there.
    Both of the computers have 128 mb RAM.
    Originally,I thought the problem could have something to do with a wrong setting in my BIOS or some peripheral device not being connected in the right manner,but I´m not that familiar with this stuff to be able to see if that´s true...

I really appreciate you taking the time to help me.

Attached Files:

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/115255

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice