1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Why is my connection speed so low? What should I ask my ISP.

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Ivy061, Mar 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Ivy061

Ivy061 Thread Starter

Well, I did a free test on speedtest.net because my computer was taking forever to load a video. It seriously takes about 30 minutes to load a 5 min video. Speedtest's results were that my download speed was at 0.31 mb/s and my upload speed was 0.20 mb/s. Isn't that extremely low? What can I do to fix that? Could it be my ISP's fault. I use a local service called IguanaNet which isn't all that great but works.

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Chuck Trusted Advisor

When you run the speed test make sure that the computer is connected directly to the modem and nothing else is connected to the modem. Also make sure that you have no other applications open other than the web browser that is running the test. You may also want to consider temporarily disabling any firewall and anti-virus software during the speed test. You might also want to run the test at different times of the day both weekdays and weekends.

What service level do you have with IguanaNet? Does your service agreement say that they guarantee the advertised speeds for large file transfers or does it say that your maximum or average speed may be lower than the advertised speed?

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Try this PingTest and post the results here.

4. Ivy061

Ivy061 Thread Starter

The ping speed is 107 ms and the jitter is 119. I also have 0% packet loss.

Well, I called and they said that there is basically no guarenteed speeds. The costumer service is also lacking. Should I drop this company? What company would you recomend switching to? Is Suddenlink good?

Oh yeah, and I have a Gold package so they are basically ripping me off.

5. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Chuck Trusted Advisor

If your download speeds are consistently below 512 Kbps (0.512 mb/s) you should probably be talking to IguanaNet about reducing your service to the Silver plan.

As for switching providers, you may want to check out www.broadbandreports.com and see if their provider search page lists any reviews of providers for your zip code.

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

If your jitter is 119, something is seriously wrong! This is what I get on that test.

[​IMG]

A jitter of 119 tells me something is wrong there.

Register at DSLReports and run their Line Quality Tests. It's best to run this test with a direct wired connection to eliminate any wireless issues from the results. It's useful many times to run this test several times, and we'd like to see each of the results. Post the results link from the top of the test display page for each test run here.

The link to post is near the top of the page and looks like:

If you wish to post this result to a forum, please copy/paste this URL
    http://www.dslreports.com/linequality/nil/2357195 <- sample only, yours will obviously be different!
    and your IP will be disguised.

Copy/paste that link here.

Note: You will have to enable PING (ICMP) request response either in your router (if you have one), or in your computer's firewall for direct modem connections. This is very important to get the most important part of the test to run.

DSLReports

Here's also the Line Quality Tests FAQ to help you understand the results. This will answer some questions about the line quality display.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/910442