1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Why is my DSL connection really slow?

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by computer_pet, Sep 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. computer_pet

computer_pet Thread Starter

Hi,
    I have noticed that my ADSL connection is about the same speed of a basic dial-up account speed or even slower. I have a 512kbit/s ADSL connection. This comes through a Dynalink RTA300 ADSL Router. At the moment I only have two computers connected to it a 2000 and a XP home. I was given by my ISP, two DNS servers, one subnet mask, one gateway IP, and one single customer IP address. I put this information in the Router and I got internet connection. Except it seems to be very slow internet connection, except for downloading it goes up to about 50kb/s. But for normal browsing it is very slow, also if one computer goes on the internet, the other computer gets a slower speed than what it has. This should not be like this because my connection is Routed.

Any help??

2. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

3. computer_pet

I think this is the results
    2003-09-10 06:47:54 EST: 131 / 93
    Your download speed : 131167 bps, or 131 kbps.
    A 16 KB/sec transfer rate.
    Your upload speed : 93088 bps, or 93 kbps.

4. computer_pet

The other one:

Download Size 2000 KB
    Download Time 53031 ms
    Receive Buffer Not available
    Transmission Speed 302 Kb/s

5. computer_pet

Why is not 512/128 like my ISP said or is the other half on the other computer?

6. computer_pet

Any Reply
    would be great,
    Thanks

7. Miz

Miz

A few things to consider:

ADSL speeds are determined by a number of things, a couple of which you can control: condition of the telephone wires between your computer and the rest of the world, spyware on your computer using up bandwidth, distance from the telco's switching station and congestion on the internet. You can check the first two...in-house wiring and spyware.

If the phone wiring in your house is old enough to be deteriorating, that can slow things down. Corrosion on the phone wire plugs can slow things down. Check the plugs on the phone line going into the modem for corrosion. They're copper wires so any corrosion will look greenish. Strangely, some cordless phones can mess things up so if you have any of those, unplug their phone lines and see if things improve.

If you haven't checked for spyware, download, install, immediately update and then run Spybot and/or AdAware (you can use them both.) Let them clean up any spyware found.

The farther away from the switching station, the slower the speed. The distance is measure along the wires, which may be different than the distance by road.

If you surf the net at non-prime time...say, 3 a.m....and it's a lot faster, you'll know it's net congestion.

8. computer_pet

It seems to be fast at around 6:00am to 8:00pm. Then after that it seems to get slower. (At night)

9. jbcalg

jbcalg

along with the spyware advice - i'd suggest you go back to dslreports (where the speed test was) and visit the tweak forum here: http://www.dslreports.com/forum/news,61

answer the 11 questions along with doing the tests, see what they come up with - odds are there's a few settings that need changing, which you can do easily

btw: i'd connect the XP PC directly to the modem for the tests, forget the router for now (this will also pinpoint whether router settings are an issue)

normally you'll see the 2 connections sharing the speed up to your max - so yes PC1 may go slower when PC2 is in use - you only get so much ;)

10. computer_pet

ok i'll do the tests except, the modem is a router (they are the same device)

But i'll still do them thanks

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/163667

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice