Why is my hard drive so full??

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

[email protected]

Hello, I would like to ask if there is a freeware program on the web to clean up a hard drive. My 37 gig drive has 21 gig on it and for what I use my computer for that is extremely high. If I keep going at this rate I will need a new HD soon!!!

Please help. Thanks in advance.

Beth

Squashman

Retired Trusted Advisor
Assuming you are using XP, How much is System restore taking up.
Also check to see how much space IE is usin for TEmporary internet files.

"for what I use my computer for that is extremely high."?21 gigs is plenty on your drive as trying to keep a balance(18/18)is the optimum.You have space to burn,RAM is the limiting factor in resource hungry applications,especially graphics&games-RAM is the determinent of system performance,not HDspace.Enjoy the space luxury!Defragging !!and the above apps will keep the system happy&it will let you know if space is at a premium.oh,unless you've USED the 21,in which case no more.consider removing installed stuff
you don't absolutely need,use WinZip or another compression program to
scavenge space (by 30%) and perhaps burn some data to CD or DVD for
storing exe files& backups you don't use.Installing another HD is always an
easy viable option,which you could do in 1/2 an hour @ no cost,an upgrade
in performance will result.If you ever wish to make work data backups that
is the solution-which reminds me:back up your data /back up your data every
week.(incremental)ha.

[email protected]

Okay thanks for all this good advice. I did however find a program called Advanced Disk Cleaner,, ran it and cleaned them up. It is now down from a 21 gig full hd to a 13 full gig hd so I guess that is what I wanted to accomplish. All is working fine too so I think it was an ok decision.

Beth

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online