1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Why is my relatively fast computer so slow?

Discussion in 'Games' started by Vict, Nov 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Vict

Vict Thread Starter

I recently sent my computer back to the factory for a problem with it randomly turning off while playing games. They replaced the video card and maybe the motherboard and reformatted the computer and sent it back. Ever since, it has been really choppy. The choppiness is barely noticeable when you're just sitting there (in the game), but once you start running around and monsters start popping out at you, it gets really bad, and I know it shouldn't because my computer before I sent it in, ran the games perfectly.

My Computer:
    Windows XP Home
    Intel Pentium 4 3.2GHz
    1GB RAM
    ATI Radeon 9550 128MB DDR

Some games:
    Warcraft III
    Grand Theft Auto III San Andreas
    F.E.A.R.

I've already updated all my drivers, downloaded the newer versions of the games, and made sure not too many things are running in the background. Is there a solution short of reformatting my computer?

2. in3rt!a

in3rt!a

well FEAR will rip that card apart... that computer isn't the best for FEAR, as it is very demanding.

are you sure you downloaded the drivers you need?

3. Jones

Jones

There could be alot of different reasons for lag while playing games. You have a fairly high-end machine, (your video card is probably starting to show it's age, but it is still okay) but there may be some minor adjustments that need to be made.

First, what resolution are you playing at? If you are playing at 1024x768, this shouldn't be a factor. If you are trying to play at 1280x1024 or higher, even the most up-to-date computers get a little strained.

Second, what settings are your anti-aliasing (AA) and anisotropic filtering (AF) set at? If they are very high, for example 4x or higher, this creates a lot of strain on your video card GPU, and can cause noticeable lag. By lowering the AA and AF settings, you should gain some frames-per-second (FPS) in most of your games. Try playing with these settings until you get better results.

Also, you can try running benchmark programs like 3DMark and Aquamark to see how your adjustments affect your scores. Run the programs before making any adjustments, record your scores, then make your adjustments (one at a time, of course) and re-run the programs to compare scores. You'll know right away if you've gained any performance. You can also use these scores to get a general idea of how your computer 'should' perform when compared to similar computers. You can ususally find comparative scores online. While these are far from exact, they can give you a general idea of how your computer will fare with newer games.

4. Vict

Vict Thread Starter

Alright, FEAR isn't the best example, but Warcraft III? Come on, my old computer ran that perfectly and even my older one before that. As for drivers, I'm far from a computer whiz, but I can keep the drivers up to date. I usually run everything under 1024x768, so that shouldn't matter, and I just checked my AA and AF and they're at 2x.

I know what I'm doing shouldn't be a problem with this computer, but for some weird reason it is. Thanks for the responses guys, I want to fix this problem before I sit down to eat Thanksgiving dinner. The turkey will taste extra sweet knowing that my computer is once again running properly.

5. Super-D-38

Super-D-38

To know what they replaced would help.. It could be a bad "new" part.. Or some incompatibility.
    My system runs GTA SA fine at "Very High" detail.. at 1024X768 or 800X600, don't remember what it's set at..

Or with a fresh format and install, there could be things that were turned off before and are now on, slowing your system.

6. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

Have you defragged your hard drive recently? If not that can cause some wild stuff.

I installed NFS:MW the other day and freaked out with some of the jerky, slow loading segments. I checked my hard disk fragmentation and it was out there. The deal was I had just defragged a few days before. I think the game fragged my drive on install.

All fixed now. :)

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/419557

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice