1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Why is my video card underperforming?

Discussion in 'Games' started by xFerrum, May 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. xFerrum

xFerrum Thread Starter

I recently bought a GTX 1060 6GB graphics card, but it doesn't seem to perform as well as in test videos on Youtube (Kingdom come: Deliverance). I have an AMD FX-6300 processor. Playing on lowest settings, the game bounces between 35 and 55 fps, gpu usage almost always being 98-99%, while cpu is 75-85 most of the time. It doesn't seem like it's bottlenecking, I tried setting the resolution from 1680x1050 to 800x600, but it only improved my fps by 6-7, and the gpu usage remained about same.

What could cause this problem?

Thanks for the answers in advance!

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Clipboard.jpg

Considering the processor you're using, it may indeed be a bottleneck issue.

You didn't say how much RAM you have or which motherboard you're using.

We also don't know which Windows operating system you're using and how well it's maintained and what's running in the background in it.

I'm not a hardware expert nor a gamer, so my input here is limited.

--------------------------------------------------------------

3. xFerrum

xFerrum Thread Starter

Sorry for the lack of info.
    I have 8 GBs of RAM, Windows 10 Pro, Asus M5A97 EVO R2.0 motherboard. I had no other running applications while monitoring that would use cpu or gpu.

4. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Capture.JPG

Your ASUS motherboard supports up to 32 GB(8 GB X 4) of DDR3 RAM.

Since you use your computer for gaming, you should consider increasing it from 8 GB to 16 GB.

----------------------------------------------------------------

5. xFerrum

xFerrum Thread Starter

Yes, probably, but I don't think the problem is with the amount of RAM I have. The GPU usage seems to be unnecessarily high in some cases like this.

6. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    I'm not a hardware expert nor a gamer, so my input here is limited.
    Hopefully, someone here who is will jump in to help you.
    Good luck.

---------------------------------------------------------------

xFerrum likes this.
  7. RT

RT

Have you have checked Can You Run It ?

Or tried Game Mode in Windows 10?
    That may work to reduce other resources that are likely running in the background and focus them more toward the game...but it doesn't work for every situation.
    Just a thought :)

Last edited: May 7, 2018
  8. xFerrum

xFerrum Thread Starter

CYRI says I can run the game. Before playing I close everything else, and GPU+CPU usage is nearly 0.

9. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

The 6300 is not a performance processor; more mainstream. Even an 8350 would probably have problems with modern games. If you want to run modern games, you need modern hardware. Your motherboard is now 6yrs old and the amd 6300 was released in later 2012 so that is almost as old.
    See this quote from the support website for the game you reference;
    While you meet minimum requirements, you do not meet the recommended requirements. It will run however it will not run well. In addition, the site recommends 16gig of ram. You have your answer as to why it does not work very well. You need a faster processor and more ram.

Last edited: May 7, 2018
  10. xFerrum

xFerrum Thread Starter

I know that the processor is a bit old, but I looked it up prior to buying the graphics card, and looked it up now too, and it totally seems like I should be able to run it. The motherboard also shouldn't affect gaming much (at least that's what I read).

11. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Wrong. There is a LOT more to a gaming system than just installing a video card. As I posted above, the game will run however it will not run well. You do not meet recommended requirements.

12. xFerrum

xFerrum Thread Starter

An upgrade would most likely help, but there are still factors I don't know about that make performance worse. Why I made this post is because of this:

Same processor, worse GPU, still runs well. There has to be something else behind it, and I don't know how to be sure about what that is. I'm a student with a low budget, so I can't just buy all the best hardware, I only want to fix what's the most necessary.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1209842

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice