1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Why is my wifi connection not working correctly?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by ranafire, Mar 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ranafire

ranafire Thread Starter

I have been having problems with my computer for some time now. The first problem I had was that after I hibernated my computer it would not even show me internet connections. I found out that hibernating the computer can sometimes cause that problem. A while afterwords I realized that even when the computer hadn't been hibernated for weeks it sometimes started up with the same problem. It said networks not available and there was a red x over a box where my wifi bars should be. I had to restart my computer up to 5 times to get the bars to show up. When it did not want to connect at all the drivers and hardware that I need to connect didn't even show in the control panel. The other times when it did work the drivers were all there. I'm not even sure how that can happen. The other computers in my house connect just fine and are able to interact with each other at high speed and get internet just fine.

I recently lost all connection even when I restarted my computer 10 times it did not work.
    I ran across a thread that told me to access command prompt as an administrator and type in this

netish int ip reset

I was able to connect to my network now, but it said either no network access or no internet access. I also tried typing in this...

ipconfig /flushdns

now I can access the internet and communicate with other computers. I tried playing Minecraft while my friend was hosting through the router but the connection was so slow that it was like I was watching the past in slow motion. I timed out several times and gave up. The internet is slow too. It's like I'm on dial up, but it should be high speed, I don't know what the problem is. What else can I look at on my computer to help me fix this? Should I restore it to factory settings? Or is something is it broken?

2. CoolBurn

CoolBurn

Have you power-cycled all equipment? (Modem/Router/Computer)
    If you run a speedtest (speedtest.net) what speeds are you getting vs what you pay your ISP for?
    What is the exact make a model of the computer?
    What Anti-Virus are you running and any previously installed?
    In command prompt can you run the two following commands and post the results in your next reply.

netsh wlan show driver (press enter)

ipconfig /all (press enter)

3. ranafire

ranafire Thread Starter

I have an Asus system model U56E running windows 7 home premium version 6.1.7601 service pack 1 build 7601 with 6 gigs of ram. I am running Avast anti virus and I uninstalled whatever junk anti virus junk the computer came with.

So I kept on trying the internet and after about two hours it started working at full speed again. The Minecraft lag issue was his problem. He didn't have enough ram. After I turned off my computer I still had the problem where my wifi said “not connected - no connections available” with the red x. I restarted 5 times. Still there. I found a video that said go to Device Manager > Network adapters and right click Network adapters and click scan for hardware changes. My wireless network adapters reappeared. It works now and I restarted it once to check. I still don't understand why they were gone in the first place. And why only sometimes? At least I know it's not the hardware. I hope this doesn’t happen again. I don't want to have to do this every time. I would also like to avoid restoring it to factory settings if I can fix it another way.:(

I ran a system file check but it didn't seem to do anything.
    I ran speed test and it came up with 7.64mbps download and 2.12mbps upload. I've got Minet internet and tv paid for through my apartment complex so I don't know how fast it's supposed to be. I went on the website and their slowest download speed is 30mbps so I guess mine is slow. It might be some other deal so I really don't know. :confused:

Here are the results from

netsh wlan show driver (press enter)

[​IMG]

ipconfig /all (press enter)

[​IMG]

4. CoolBurn

CoolBurn

5. ranafire

ranafire Thread Starter

Here are my results.

Xirrus:

[​IMG]

ping test:

[​IMG]

connection test:

[​IMG]

Quality test:

[​IMG]

speed test:

[​IMG]

6. ranafire

ranafire Thread Starter

I found a new problem with the wifi. It stopped working on all computers one day. I plugged it directly into my computer and let windows scan for problems. It said Wifi not set up for LAN connection. I let it auto fix the problem.

This does not solve the problem where my wifi said “not connected - no connections available” with the red x. It still happens occasionaly with my wifi at home and elsewhere. I am fairly sure this is not a virus. The problem occurred before I had internet at home, when there was almost no programs installed. I have since scanned for viruses regularly and kept up on uninstalling unwanted programs.

7. ranafire

ranafire Thread Starter

8. CoolBurn

CoolBurn

How come the “linksys” router is unsecured?

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1143986

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice