1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Why is my WIFI faster than Ethernet?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by taylorp36, Apr 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. taylorp36

taylorp36 Thread Starter

Ok here is the situation:
    I live in an apartment complex with a few other roommates. We each have an ethernet-cable jack in our rooms, and we also have a wireless router located in one of my roommates' rooms that we all use for WIFI. My question to you guys is why, when connected to only WIFI, my interenet connection is faster than using an ethernet cable? Our WIFI network displays a speed of 65Mbps, while the ethernet network shows a 10Mbps. How does this make sense?

Speed test for Ethernet network:
    [​IMG]

Speed test for WIFI network:
    [​IMG]

2. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

For the speed tests... 0.03 difference is not really 'faster'... at least you would not see the difference.

as to the Our WIFI network displays a speed of 65Mbps, while the ethernet network shows a 10Mbps statement, if your ethernet port is showing 10Mbps, then either you have a setting that is incorrect (set to half duplex, not full duplex), you are using the wrong cable, or the ethernet port is bad.

Usually on a .g wireless network, it should say 54.0Mbps... not too sure why you are getting 65MBps... unless it's on a .n wireless?

So, for the ethernet, is it happening to only your computer? or other people's using the ethernet connection?

3. taylorp36

taylorp36 Thread Starter

Yes it is on .n wireless. And your right, a .003 difference is not noticed at all, I was just curious as to the differences between 10Mbps and 54Mbps, and also why the speed test is always just a little bit faster for the WIFI than the Ethernet.

Thanks for your help in clearing some of these issues up!

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

Either your computer's ethernet adapter or the router's is 10 Mbps (or else, as Couriant indicated, you may have the adapter set to that speed).

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/992222