1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Why is Norton System Doctor always indicating that my RAM is full?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by hencab, Dec 5, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hencab

hencab Thread Starter

Hi. I use Norton System Doctor (Version 5.02.32) to monitor my computer system and it always indicates that my RAM load is full (90% and above). I just upgraded my RAM from 64MB to 128MB because of this problem but it still happens. This even happens when I do not have any programs running. What is happening? Is it a software bug or is there something wrong with my RAM/hardware? Please help!

Henry

2. slipe

slipe

It is not a problem unless you are using Win95. Win95 would cache all of the RAM and wouldn’t give it back when programs needed it. Win98 and above will give the RAM back when it is needed by programs.

What Windows is doing is caching information in RAM so you don’t have to retrieve the info from the HD which is much slower. Unused RAM is wasted RAM. Don’t mess with it unless you are using Win95.

3. amb4809

amb4809

I have the same problem with Norton Utilities,I am running Win98SE.Only have 64mb and can't see how I am using all memory.

4. slipe

slipe

amb4809: Did you bother to read my post? With 64Mb RAM you should almost never have unused RAM. Windows is using it to cache information it thinks you might need. If you need the RAM the cache will dump instantly to provide the RAM. You don’t have a problem and Norton is reading correctly.

5. hencab

hencab Thread Starter

Hi Slipe (a.k.a. Wayne if I remember right). Thanks a lot for the advice. I run Windows 98. Why is it that by late afternoon, after running my computer for about 6 hours, I notice that it's running slower and I sometimes get an error message along the lines of 'not enough memory'? Also, should I dump Norton System Doctor? Is it a good program to use or is it worthless?

Henry

PS. Slipe: Thank you also for your post in VirtualDr! I am replying to your post there. Check it out!

6. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

You need to go to Tools on your IE & click Internet Options & then
    on temporary internet files click delete files & when the second window comes up put a check in the box to delete Internet temps also.

This will help keep the cache cleaned out & a reboot will bring back more memory as well.

Savvy :)

7. amb4809

amb4809

thanks savvyLady ,I always do that plus defragment frequently.Another poster said that it was normal in win98 and not to worry...any opinions?

8. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

yea I do... you really need more RAM... its cheaper now than ever.. should go ahead & get it before it gets more costly.

9. amb4809

amb4809

I'm going to. I just deleted all temp internet files and Norton still says mem load is 100%.

10. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

go to My Computer & right click on it then go to properties/performance... it will tell you what % you are using of RAM... that has little to do with resources though.

11. amb4809

amb4809

any idea on how I could get my sound to work again?It was fine the other day but now it says I have no audio chip.I have intel celeron with on board audio chip(motherboard is GA-6wmm).

12. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

reinstall the drivers... in device manager.
    this is not my forte ... you should post this in the forum .

"All Other Softwear"

13. amb4809

amb4809

In my computer properties it says 63.0mb of ram and 60% resources free

14. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

So you are running the sysytem on 38 MB's of RAM... I am surprised you don't get booted to a blue screen

15. amb4809

amb4809

no blue screens(knock on wood) and everything runs quickly

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/60849

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice