Why is Norton System Doctor always indicating that my RAM is full?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

hencab

Hi. I use Norton System Doctor (Version 5.02.32) to monitor my computer system and it always indicates that my RAM load is full (90% and above). I just upgraded my RAM from 64MB to 128MB because of this problem but it still happens. This even happens when I do not have any programs running. What is happening? Is it a software bug or is there something wrong with my RAM/hardware? Please help!

Henry

It is not a problem unless you are using Win95. Win95 would cache all of the RAM and wouldn’t give it back when programs needed it. Win98 and above will give the RAM back when it is needed by programs.

What Windows is doing is caching information in RAM so you don’t have to retrieve the info from the HD which is much slower. Unused RAM is wasted RAM. Don’t mess with it unless you are using Win95.

I have the same problem with Norton Utilities,I am running Win98SE.Only have 64mb and can't see how I am using all memory.

amb4809: Did you bother to read my post? With 64Mb RAM you should almost never have unused RAM. Windows is using it to cache information it thinks you might need. If you need the RAM the cache will dump instantly to provide the RAM. You don’t have a problem and Norton is reading correctly.

hencab

Hi Slipe (a.k.a. Wayne if I remember right). Thanks a lot for the advice. I run Windows 98. Why is it that by late afternoon, after running my computer for about 6 hours, I notice that it's running slower and I sometimes get an error message along the lines of 'not enough memory'? Also, should I dump Norton System Doctor? Is it a good program to use or is it worthless?

Henry

PS. Slipe: Thank you also for your post in VirtualDr! I am replying to your post there. Check it out!

You need to go to Tools on your IE & click Internet Options & then
on temporary internet files click delete files & when the second window comes up put a check in the box to delete Internet temps also.

This will help keep the cache cleaned out & a reboot will bring back more memory as well.

Savvy :)

thanks savvyLady ,I always do that plus defragment frequently.Another poster said that it was normal in win98 and not to worry...any opinions?

yea I do... you really need more RAM... its cheaper now than ever.. should go ahead & get it before it gets more costly.

I'm going to. I just deleted all temp internet files and Norton still says mem load is 100%.

go to My Computer & right click on it then go to properties/performance... it will tell you what % you are using of RAM... that has little to do with resources though.

any idea on how I could get my sound to work again?It was fine the other day but now it says I have no audio chip.I have intel celeron with on board audio chip(motherboard is GA-6wmm).

reinstall the drivers... in device manager.
this is not my forte ... you should post this in the forum .

"All Other Softwear"

So you are running the sysytem on 38 MB's of RAM... I am surprised you don't get booted to a blue screen

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online