1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Why is Norton System Doctor always indicating that my RAM is full?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by hencab, Dec 5, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. amb4809

amb4809

I see you are from martinsville.Ever go to any races. sorry, had to break away from computer mind mode

2. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

yea knock on wood!

ok... see ya anoither time in the forum then.

Savvy :)

3. kramnnim

kramnnim

Memory and system resources are two completely different things, =/

4. amb4809

amb4809

yea kramnnim, i know this

5. Max19

Max19 Account Disabled

It's not normal for you computer to run slowly after being on for only 6 hours, and receiving low memory errors is definitely not normal. I leave my computer on all the time. Sometimes I only reboot once a week, and I've never experienced performance problems or memory errors. You probably have something running in the background that's not properly releasing memory.

6. slipe

slipe

What Op System are you two using? With Win 98 and SE it only gives resources in properties.

I would like to crosscheck to see what that is actually telling you. The only thing I have found on my computer that actually gives the amount of RAM used not considering what is being used for cache is Photoshop. In the area where you set what % of your RAM Photoshop can take it gives you the RAM available to Photoshop. Since Photoshop, like any other program, can take RAM away from cache it tells me how much my computer is actually using.

Photoshop says I am actually using 34Mb RAM (512 – 34 reads 478Mb available). I have three browser windows, Word, Photoshop and 19 items running when I select Ctrl+Alt+Del. Norton says I am using 138Mb RAM because I rebooted a few hours ago with a program installation. I often get my RAM used up to 350Mb as I run the computer 24/7, but Photoshop usually still reports that 450 to 480 is available to it because the bulk is cache.

If I had Henry’s 128Mb RAM, Norton and every other source I know of for RAM use would say it is all in use. Actually only 34Mb is being used by programs (as accurately reported by Photoshop) and the rest is available for instant use if programs need it.

My guess is that Henry’s computer goes as long before slowing down with 128Mb as it did with 64. The problem is resources and the RAM use indication is a red herring. Many people get by fine with 64Mb RAM. The speed increases they report from adding RAM is from having more information in the cache.

7. amb4809

amb4809

I am using win98 se and this is what Norton is telling me... Memory Load sensor
    This sensor reports computer memory usage by monitoring how much of the memory has been committed to running applications.
    When all the physical memory (RAM) has been committed, Windows can commit additional memory from the virtual memory of the swap file. However, applications run faster when they are entirely resident in RAM.
    When this sensor indicates a high memory load, you should try to close some applications.(this is showing 100%)plus sends an alarm to alert me that it is too high and I should close some applications,which i do but makes little difference.

physical memory
    This sensor reports computer memory usage by monitoring how much of the memory has been committed to running applications.
    When all the physical memory (RAM) has been committed, Windows can commit additional memory from the virtual memory of the swap file. However, applications run faster when they are entirely resident in RAM.
    When this sensor indicates a high memory load, you should try to close some applications.(this indicator is showing anywhere from 0.0 to 12.4mb

8. slipe

slipe

Norton is reporting an exorbitant amount of RAM use compared to Photoshop. I do have to admit that Norton is giving different (lower) readings than System Monitor is for available RAM. System monitor is showing total unused RAM while Norton is showing something different. But Norton is showing a much higher number than I am actually using for applications. Under details Norton agrees with system monitor on available memory.

The first step in reducing both RAM and resource use is Start>Run, type msconfig and enter. Under the startup tab uncheck everything non-essential. Keep Scan Registry, System tray, AV and firewall. You also need Still Image Monitor if you have a HP scanner. Most other things will start when they are called on. Anything that doesn’t can be rechecked. It might be normal for 64Mb to be used by Windows and programs but not 128 unless there is a mess of stuff in the startup.

9. hencab

hencab Thread Starter

Hello everyone!

SAVVYLADY: I'll give your suggestion a try. Thanks!

MAX: How do I find out if I have a program running that is not properly releasing memory? And, how do I fix it?

SLIPE: You are right about my computer, now with 128MB RAM, slowing down about the same time as when I only had 64MB RAM. What do I do, without rebooting, to avoid this? I checked out 'msconfig' > Startup but I am not sure which programs are safe to uncheck. Attached is a jpg file that's a complete picture--Norton System Doctor is partially blocked but it is the last item on the list--of my Startup tab in System Configuration. Which programs are safe to uncheck?

Attached Files:

10. slipe

slipe

You definitely don’t want Office startup. You have to wait just as long during boot as it saves you in opening the programs. That is if you use all of the Office apps during a session. If you don’t you lose time. It also keeps a lot of code in RAM. You will also have to remove it from your StartUp in Start>Programs or it will recheck itself.

You need System Tray, Scan Registry, Your anti-virus and firewall if you have one. I don’t load the definitions alert as I always just update when I see a virus warning on one of the boards. Same for Critical Updates. You will need the Load Power Profile if you let your monitor and HD power itself off. If you normally shut down when you are finished with your computer I would uncheck them. Script blocking and NPROTECT are part of the AV and should be left checked.

I would uncheck everything else. If there is anything you find that doesn’t work when you need it you can just recheck it.

Here is a good list of everything and an explanation of those few things that won’t just start when you need them: http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_content.htm You can use the alphabetical links or open the whole list if you have a fast connection.

Before you delete anything, go to Start>Run>msinfo32>Software Environment>Startup and copy paste the list so we can see the whole thing. You can go ahead and uncheck the stuff then – someone might notice something that shouldn’t be unchecked and you can recheck it.

You are going to be amazed how well your computer runs after you get all that crap out of the startup. That is a load of stuff.

11. hencab

hencab Thread Starter

SLIPE: Hey thanks a lot again for the GREAT advice! I checked out Paul Collins's site and it's a good source of info. I followed his remmoendations so I'll see today if it works. I have noticed that when I restarted, after making the changes, it does seem to boot up faster. My final test will be later this afternoon when my computer usually begins acting up. Hopefully, the changes I've made will work. I'll let you know by tomorrow. Oh, good thing you mentioned to take out MS Office from Startup because Paul didn't mention it in his site. Thanks again!

Henry

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/60849

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice