1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Why is the download speed on my computer so slow?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Jcarno, Feb 24, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jcarno

Jcarno Thread Starter

Hi guys,

I'm not as tech savvy as I could be, and I've been all over the internet looking for answers. Here's the situation-- I'm paying for 250 MB/s internet speeds. My phone gets these speeds, my laptop gets these speeds, everything gets 250 except for my desktop computer which is annoying. My desktop is consistently around 10 MB/s. I'm running the most recent drivers, etc... I'm wondering if I need to replace a specific part of my computer but I don't know what that would be. Anything helps! Thanks!

2. dlipman

dlipman

First Name:
    David
    I doubt you are getting 250MB/s service. More like 250Mb/s ( Bytes per sec. vs. bits per sec. ).
    Nomenclature matters.

To run a speed test, the desktop should be connected via a Gigabit Ethernet port directly to the Gigabit LAN port of the Router. If there are devices in between or if it is using WiFi you will not see that level of service.

3. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Is the desktop PC connected to the router by cable or by wireless ?

In Device Manager expand Network Adapters and tell us what it shows please.

4. Jcarno

Jcarno Thread Starter

Yes Mb/s sorry my bad. Also its via wireless, but all the other wireless devices in the house are running much faster than tge desktop.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2019
  5. Jcarno

Jcarno Thread Starter

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Please attach a screen shot of the Networks page (don't collapse the Radar, Connection or Signal History) of the Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector. If you need help with a screen shot see TSG Posting a Screenshot. FWIW to take screen shots with Windows Vista or latter I prefer to use the built-in Snipping Tool.

7. dlipman

dlipman

First Name:
    David
    WiFi will always be slower than Ethernet.
    There are many factors that can limit the bandwidth such as; distance of WiFi connected devices to WiFi Router, Line of Sight ( LoS ), physical barriers and construction material, connection protocol, etc.

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Except when it's faster or the same speed. Maybe you meant to add some qualifiers about the adapters and networks? :)

9. dlipman

dlipman

First Name:
    David
    I will concede with qualifications...

10. HowdyHigh

HowdyHigh

Phone and laptop probably have AC wifi. This desktop has N wifi. Maybe get AC wifi for your desktop or an AC range extender with ethernet out for a bridge.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1223539

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice