1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

why is this cat5e wire so cheap

Discussion in 'Networking' started by ryan711, Apr 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ryan711

ryan711 Thread Starter

Is there something different about this cat5e wire from homedepot that is making it so cheap.
    http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDU...gories/Building & Remodeling&MID=9876&pos=p03

I don't know why 500ft of cat5e is only 40$ Should I get this I am wiring my house?

The link just brings you to the homepage just type this in search
    Internet/Catalog # 162791
    Store SKU# 190519
    or type: 500 ft. Gray 24-4 Twisted Pair Gigabit Datacom Wire

by the way here are the specs that are on the site: 1000 megabits per second, ultra high-speed datacom wire. 16MBPS token ring. 155MBPS ATM. 100BASE-T. Wire Type: Datacom. Type: Category 5e

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

There is nothing inherently expensive about CAT5e cable, that price seems pretty normal. FYI, this is solid wire, which is used for behind the walls and static installations. Solid wire is best for fixed wiring, since it has much lower losses than stranded wire, however it's also more fragile. For the patch cables from the wall jack to the equipment, you'll want stranded cable.

3. Dennis Seyme

Dennis Seyme

Cat5e has shielded and unshielded. unshielded is cheaper but shielded is better if you are running near electric wires or florescent lites. Both can run from 10mbps to 1000mbps with the rite equipment.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/216636

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice