1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Why is this happening???

Discussion in 'Networking' started by MEbeME, Nov 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MEbeME

MEbeME Thread Starter

I am running a cable internet connection using a wireless router to connect other computers to the net. The main computer where the router is situated runs an internet speed of 12 Mbps where as both my other wireless computer and my laptop using network card have speeds of 54 Mbps.

Why is my main computer not as fast on the net?

2. diablo75

diablo75

The card in the computer running 12 (more like 11....which is REALLY more like 5.5 after noise and duplex) is likely a Wireless B adapter, while the 54 Mbps is a Wireless G card. Most wireless routers are dual band and can support both frequency ranges.

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I suspect you're comparing apples and oranges. The 12mbit speed is using something like www.speakeasy.net/speedtest, right? That's the ISP connection speed, but your speed to the router is most likely 100mbit for the wired connection. The 54mbit you speak of is simply the maximum bit rate of 802.11g links, but has nothing to do with the ISP speed.

4. MEbeME

MEbeME Thread Starter

The 2 wireless computers are faster than the one wired directly to the router.

5. JohnWill

What do you get for the speed test posted above for the wired one and one of the wireless ones?

6. tomdkat

tomdkat Retired Trusted Advisor

And, does he have a 10MB Ethernet adapter installed in the machine that is directly wired to the router? MebeME, can you post the make/model of the Ethernet adapter installed in the machine wired to the router?

Peace...

7. MEbeME

MEbeME Thread Starter

The wireless was slightly faster than the base computer.

I don't have ethernet installed. I connect the router/modem to my base computer via USB.

8. tomdkat

Gotcha. USB 1.1 has a max transfer speed of 12Mbps where USB 2.0 has a max of 480Mbps. Since your wireless computers are using 802.11g to connect to the router, they will always have a faster connection to the router than your desktop computer will. Given your report of the desktop not having a connection no faster than 12Mbps, I'm thinking you've got a USB 1.1 connection between your desktop and your router.

If you switched to using an Ethernet connection, your desktop to router connection speed would increase to the max speed of the Ethernet connection, which might be up to 100Mbps. Of course, this would depend on the Ethernet adapter in your desktop and the Ethernet port speed in your router.

The connection speeds of the computers to the router won't be an indication of Internet connection speed.

Peace...

9. JohnWill

Well, USB of any flavor could be one reason the base station is slower. Try using a real PCI adapter. ;)

10. MEbeME

MEbeME Thread Starter

PCI adapter?

11. tomdkat

I can't imagine a USB 2.0 adapter being restricted to 12MBps unless his router has a USB 1.1 port. If the router had a USB 2.0 port, I would expect the desktop machine to have a connection to the router close to 480Mbps, if not that.

MEbeME, see if your computer has an integrated Ethernet adapter. If so, get an Ethernet cable and use that to connect to your router. If your computer doesn't have an integrated Ethernet adapter, you can get one that is a PCI card that goes inside your computer. They are fairly inexpensive these days. :)

Peace...

12. MEbeME

MEbeME Thread Starter

13. Soundy

Soundy

Seeing as your internet connection apparently maxes out at 1/100th the speed of your slowest local connection, the whole "issue" is rather moot - the only place you'd see a speed advantage would be transferring from one of the wireless computers to the wired one. Nothing you do will speed up your internet connection, short of upgrading your ISP's service tier (if that's even possible).

14. tomdkat

What Soundy said. :)

Peace...

15. MEbeME

MEbeME Thread Starter

My speed on my account should be:

Up to 8000/128kbps

I don't understand what Soundy is saying. Why are the wireless using the same modem as the wired faster!?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/649097

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice