1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Why is Vista Locked after returning from Sleep Mode?

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Grafx, Mar 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Grafx

Grafx Thread Starter

After having Vista for 3 weeks, all of a sudden, when I return from Sleep Mode, the screen says Locked. I just hit retrun and everything is fine. Before, I got the normal screen right way. Is there a way to disable that. It isn't a real big deal, but I liked the other way better. I don't use a password, just return.

2. techy689

techy689

Make sure your computer is not configured to return to login screen after resuming from a screen saver or to lock the computer..

3. Triple6

Triple6 Rob Moderator

Go to Control Panel then Power Options and click Require Password on Wakeup. Make sure Don't require a password is selected - you'll likely have to click Change Settings that are Currently Unavailable to change it.

4. sync

sync

I'm having the same problem as the OP and 'Don't require a password' is selected.

This problem started when I accidently clicked on 'Lock this computer' once instead of Standby. Ever since then I get a locked computer screen after returning from standby.

I just tried selecting and saving 'require a password' and then reversing that and now I don't get the locked screen after returning from standby.

5. Grafx

Grafx Thread Starter

That worked!! I never selected the password option before, but deselecting it solved the problem. Thanks!

6. MMJ

MMJ Guest

That option is selected by default.

7. sync

sync

Then it is quite odd that the OP and I did not experience this issue initially when using Vista. Even when mine started locking the locking option was not selected.

8. jrwilson1946

jrwilson1946

I had the same problem. Turned on requre password without a password, went into sleep mode, came out, turned off requre password, went back into sleep, came out and this time no locking icon was seen.

Good luck...:)

9. sync

sync

I still have this problem even after installing SP1. If I reset it, then it works properly a few times and then it reverts back to a locked screen again.

10. Triple6

Triple6 Rob Moderator

The settings you are changing are the ones mentioned above? Have you looked through all the power management settings? Also check to see the password setting is enabled for the screensaver under Display settings.

11. sync

sync

I have been changing those settings since I first posted in this thread a year ago. It will work a few times and then revert back to locking.

I don't use a screen saver and I don't see any other place where there might be a setting that needs to be changed. The only time my system is locked is when it wakes up from standby.

I don't actually use a password so it is only a minor annoyance since I just have to click a button.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/552635